Show off

Image:

Description:

From 2019 when I went on a 1/2 day swamp tour outside of New Orleans. My experience with Josh this morning led me to do a full week tour with him in 2020. While this looks wild, it’s actually a man-made canal that connects a big lake to some smaller ones. We didn’t get any more color than this, but I did my best to accentuate it. Luckily the clouds stayed dramatic and I think the textures there contrast nicely with the trees. Just after this Josh spotted a Barred owl just hanging out in one of those trees. It was pretty cool.

Specific Feedback Requested:

So it’s not as sharp as it could be. Should have upped the shutter speed. Does that matter? Scrap it?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Handheld in a kayak

Lr for a bit of a crop and basic tonal management, a white balance tweak, texture & some lens distortion correction. Topaz Sharpen to try to find some detail. Photoshop for some distraction removal and some luminosity masks to tease apart the mid-tones, manage highlights in the clouds and a spot of color grading.

1 Like

Didn’t some famous photographer say that sharpness is overrated? :wink:

The colors in this are lovely - those magenta-tinged clouds go well with the greens. Yes, it’s bit soft, but would that matter in a reasonably sized print? I don’t think so. And it is very cool when viewed at full size - I feel like I’m in a canoe gently paddling along.

1 Like

This is a very relaxing shot, Kris. I love how those clouds seem to be unfurling, and how the reflection deepens their tones. Agree with @Bonnie_Lampley about the sharpness.

Thanks @Bonnie_Lampley & @Mike_Friel - glad it comes across well rather than a botched job. The clouds were pretty great and broke up later in the day, but at least I got something for my sunrise.