Sidelight

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The sidelight and the red penstemons caught my eye.

Technical Details

ISO 800, f/5.6, 1/500th

Really eye-catching sidelight on the leaves and flowers. The white grasses in the center draw the eye to the pentstemon (scarlet bugler?). I enjoy seeing a portion of the elements lit up.
Looks like the prevailing wind pushed vegetation to the left, so the viewer has to decide what to think about all the leaning elements. For me, flipping and having them lean to the right is a bit of help. I also tried a content-aware crop and rotation, with some sharpening. But somehow, I sorta miss the left-leaning confusion of your original.

Thanks for commenting, Dick. This one is managed chaos. There are a number of vertical plants in the original that provide an anchor, for me at least. The left-leaning plants create some tension that I actually like.

Don, the side light, the clump of bright grass, and the touch of red capture me. I agree with you about the tension of the suggested action of the wind. At first, I wondered if you had not straightened the shot, and then I noticed the vertical lines. I have just one tiny observation. One of the brightest stems is at the bottom of the frame and tends to pull my eye out of the composition. I wonder if burning it down at the bottom would help. Your eye and camera have certainly treated us to a beautiful moment. Thank you.

Barbara, thanks for commenting. As for that bright stem at the bottom, I agree with you. I’ve toned it down some more.

1 Like