Silver Hill Conservation Area

Mike and I decided to make a six hour drive to this location after viewing a couple of images on Ed McGuirk’s website. We were able to get a couple of nice shots this particular evening along with some moody ones with some foggy conditions the following morning. When we arrived in the morning we ran into Ed and had a nice couple of hours of shooting together.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 25 mm, f 18 @ 1/10 sec, ISO 400, MLU, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like how you have framed the purple flowers with the goldenrod (?). The radiating clouds fill the top part of the frame nicely and I like how the convergence point of the clouds along the horizon line is above the group of purple flowers. These two elements help direct the viewer to the purple flowers. The subtle light is beautiful and enhances the peaceful feeling of this image. Nicely done!

Gorgeous Ed - Where’s the fog??? :wink: Love the beautiful sky and the color combo between the sky/clouds and the soft beautiful colors of the meadow. Not unlike Michael’s image, I like featuring the purple flowers in the comp; despite the small real estate presence, I think those flowers anchor the scene.

Love this as presented, wouldn’t change a thing.

Lon

This looks real sweet, Ed. Great sky to go with the fertile foreground. No suggestions here.

I prefer this one more than your previous one with the fog. The colors look natural here for this kind of light whereas they didn’t in the fog scene (as Ian alluded to). It’s interesting how much space has been devoted to the sky, yet it feels appropriate.

Dang! This is real nice, Ed. The meadow and trees a re wonderful, and I really like the sky. Your processing brings to life the subtle color of the sunrise.

Just curious, but what are the red flowers in the center? The look really nice against the yellow.
-P

This is fantastic, Ed. Couldn’t get any better IMHO. Colors, processing, comp all top notch. I love how everything seems to radiate out from the Joe Pye weed. Four vulcan salutes from me.
:vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

Ed, I also like the framing of that purple flower. But yeah, where’s the fog? Haha. I may have a slightly different opinion about the composition of the “forest” in the BG. With the lit trees on the right-hand side, it feels the image is a little bit imbalanced to my eyes. I get the sense of a crooked horizon because of that. I am sure you have more frames from this area (it looks so lovely!) so I am looking forward to seeing more from here! :smiley:

I never thought it possible that images on my website would inspire someone to drive 6 hours for a photograph :grin:

I have shot these flowers, Joe Pye Weed and Goldenrod, at this same location near my home for over 20 years. And I have only shot there at sunrise, I never thought to try it at sunset, so thanks for the idea, I’ll have to give it a try. And if it is any consolation to you, the past 3 mornings have all been just as foggy with no color in the sky as it was on the morning that I ran into you and Mike. Nice seeing you guys again.

The light and clouds here are pretty interesting, I love the radial shapes of the clouds. I also really like how you isolated the patch of Joe Pye Weed in the center of the goldenrod, it makes for a more interesting composition. The processing looks good, in particular the colors of both flowers look very natural and true to life.

I’m glad that you guys were able to get something good out of this trip, that is along way to drive for just one days shooting.

Thanks for your thoughts @Brian_Schrayer, @Lon_Overacker, @Harley_Goldman, @Igor_Doncov, @Preston_Birdwell, @Michael_Lowe, @Adhika_Lie and @Ed_McGuirk; always appreciated. Glad everyone enjoyed the image.
@Preston_Birdwell: The purple flower is Joe Pye Weed.
@Adhika_Lie: I got a few images of the fog during the next morning’s shoot. Not as many as I would have liked as the fog just got to thick.
@Ed_McGuirk: It was a pleasant surprise seeing you again as Mike and I headed out through the field. I was quite happy with the end result as I came away with some images that I was very pleased with. We had some nice light that evening to accompany those clouds. We just waited until the sun started to go down behind the treeline at our back before shooting.

A lovely blend of colours under a great sly, Ed. The purple flowers in the centre draw the eye in nicely.