Singing in the Rain

Actually, this was a female and though it was calling, it didn’t have the full-out open beak and obvious effort displayed by the male. Unfortunately, the one male I caught was right on the edge of land and sky. I may post him later.

This was taken at the National Bison Range in Montana, now turned back to the local tribes on whose land it was established. There were Western Meadowlarks everywhere and in early June they were singing like crazy.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. I applied a fairly heavy curves layer through a luminosity mask to accentuate the rain streaks and also brought up the highlights in LR to do the same. Was it effective?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, f/9, 1/500, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4915 x 3541. Taken at 11:02 AM on June 5th.

2 Likes

I like the setting very much for this image. The yellow of the Meadowlark goes so well with its environment. Excellent pose. I like the fact that you included the rain and the out of focus background.

I love it, Dennis - rain more often than not add quite something to an image. Your image makes me re-hear the beautiful songs they sing ! Nice one! Cheers, Hans