Sinuosity w/Revision

Revision with slight gradient from the top and lightening of the trunk just behind the main tree. Thoughts?

@Peter_Richter’s wonderful image Autumn in the Pannonian Plain prompted me to reach back into the archives to find this image, shot on November 5, 2009 (exactly 13 years ago today) in Zion National Park. I’ve struggled with how to present this image ever since. The digital camera did not have the dynamic range that today’s cameras have. I’ve processed it in color and black and white never quite getting what I saw and felt in the moment. Today, with much better processing tools (in my case, Capture One), I finally feel this version conveys my vision for it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon 1DS III, EF 135mm f/2L, 0.5 sec @ f/11, ISO 100, Polarizer, Tripod.

2 Likes

Well dang, this is great. For some reason it reads like a woman posing with a big fur coat. Something about the trunk’s gesture and the texture in the foliage. Tonal range is great here too.

GORGEOUS!! And definitely sensuous! I love the sharp detail as well. I’m glad it got rescued from the archives. I think maybe the new tools we have are even better than the new cameras.

My only thought is that if it were mine (wish it was!) that I’d think about a subtle burn from the top, maybe more for the bright branches, and maybe have a look at lightening the trunk just behind the main one in the bottom half, to have a look at increasing its visual weight leading down from the leaf canopy.

David, at first sight I thought you were suggesting a b&w version of my post! It is always fascinating to me how similar two photographers sometimes express their ideas on subjects they found decades and continents apart. In this case, yours preceeded mine for thirteen years and I come to know it now for the first time.

Your b&w processing simplifies the composition in an appealing way to me. It shows the dead trunk full of life and movement to my eye, interestiingly embedded in the delicate foliage. I also enjoy exploring all the delighful details.

Thanks for sharing and refering to my image.

I love the light and processing here - so soft and yet rich in detail. Very pleasing to look at and calming. Wonderful image, thanks for posting.

@aschlaep, @Diane_Miller, @Peter_Richter, and @CharlesV thank you so much for your kind comments. I do appreciate them. This one has taken a long time to percolate and age… I do like the result.

Diane, I like the slight gradient at the top idea. I had already darkened the trunk you mentioned because I felt it competed with the main tree. Here’s a version with both of those changes. Would be interested in your thoughts…

1 Like

I had to play with it! I decided you were right to darken the trunk, and darkened it even more. The top was a quandary – right or wrong, I wanted to make the upreaching limbs less of a pull, so wound up with a pretty significant burn on them, and tried to make that less obvious with a subtle burn at the sides. Trying to give due attention to that wonderful trunk and the leaves cradling it.

I’m jumping right in to @Diane_Miller’s rework and I love it. I think Diane may have gone just a smidgen too far at the top with the branches but the rest of her rework is really speaking to me. This has such wonderful textures and tones, David. So glad you actually found this one from 13 years ago. what an interesting tree trunk structure. I might dodge the left tree trunk and have it disappear into the void. No other suggestions from me though.

Thank you @Diane_Miller and @David_Haynes, I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

Diane, I am glad you agreed with the darkening of that trunk. I felt it was competing with the main tree. I like how you burned the top area too. I worked that top with a burn layer this morning and then dialed back to about 50% opacity as I think it was a bit too dark. So, as David H. said, somewhere between the original and yours. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll check that tree trunk on the left too, David. Thanks.

1 Like