Sisyrinchium (blue-eyed grass)

I found this in a wonderful small nursery. Blue-eyed grass is in the Iris Family, so it’s not a true grass, and the genus includes species that are not blue. A variety of species are native to North America.

Being in a small pot it was a perfect subject for some experimentation with a pure white background created with a minimum of equipment. Thus the work is simply the subject, an 8.5X11 piece of white plastic, and an iPad Pro.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m open to any comments.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

As noted, the image created with an iPad Pro. Processed with Lightroom Mobile on the same iPad.

In the spirit of minimilist gear, this posting was also done from the same iPad.

Hooray for minimalism with results like this. Bravo. I like the inclusion of leaves and of the seeds from past blooms. I am going to take issue with your colors though - from having seen this flower and photographed it (in my front yard in NH) I know it’s not this color. It’s much cooler and darker and I think there are details in the petals - stripes or maybe an edge. Insofar as artistic expression goes, I think you can get away with it, but if you’re going for realism I’m going to be the Russian judge and give you low points. lol.

1 Like

I stand accused. But I do have an explanation for my crime.

Notice that I only included the genus Sisyrinchium. Purchasing the plant at a nursery, I have no idea of the plant’s provenance and thus won’t take a crack at the species.

There are six species naturally occurring in Pennsylvania with S. angustifolium being the most common. I have that growing in the front yard, and you’re right; it isn’t that blue. Being from a nursery, I suspect it’s a cultivated garden variety, and it has been groomed for being showy and quite blue.

Таким образом, я защищаю свое дело, ваша честь. ;>)

Well ok, I’ll let you off the hook this time. Don’t tempt the wrath of the Moderator!! :rofl:

1 Like

Lovely photo, and isn’t tech amazing. Constantly changing and getting better. World wide!

I also like the inclusion of the additional leaves.

1 Like

Sure is. Here’s the raw set-up. The white plastic is in full sun, as is the plant. The iPad is on the same patio table. With the folding keyboard I have a solid camera stand.

This doesn’t work for all plants. If they are near white and have tranlucent petals it’s hard to seperate the flower parts from the background.

What I’m trying to find is a way to trigger a small strobe with the iPad. The iPad has it’s own flash so there is somewhere in the firmware that can be used.

1 Like

Paul: Wonderful result. I use a similar setup in my master bath that I sometimes convert into a “studio”. Beautiful portrait of a fine subject. >=))>

1 Like