Six-spotted Fishing Spider

This is one of the larger Six-spotted Fishing Spiders that hang out in my ponds. They are capable of walking across the water surface. I have seen one of these grab a female Blue Dasher who was laying eggs! They get their name from 6 dark spots on their underside (wonder how that was observed!). A 10 shot stack for dof. (7D2, 180mm macro, 1/200 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod)

Oh how wonderful!!! I love these guys and only have taken a photo of one once and it was accidental with a bonus jumping spider photobombing.

But never mind that. The water surface tension you’ve captured here is a treat. The specialized hairs on the feet help with this and wow…it looks amazing. I also like the way it’s still on a leaf/lily pad for security. Fierce hunters no doubt.

We have spiders on the dock that get to 3" across with the legs relaxed like this. Darker in color, but they also can walk on the water’s surface even though they don’t do it often. Terrific job on all counts with this one. I’d be proud to call it mine.

What a shot, Mark. I love this. You got really nice details in the face of the spider. I have never seen one of these, I don’t think, but even if I have, it wasn’t this up close and personal. Well done.

The placement of the leaf (?) along with the clarity of the spider are spectacular, Mark. I have also not seen this type of a spider, so thanks for sharing with us. Very nicely seen and executed.

Mark … I love the angle at which you shot and achieved a end to end dof. Love that split screen effect on the frame. Beautiful work

Balan Vinod

Very cool, Mark. I love the surface tension dimples where the legs meet the water. The angle with the edge of the leaf showing so clearly is excellent.

Oh wow. This is so cool. And a focus stack too! Awesome. I’ve never seen one…not sure I want to either. The picture is fantastic.

Hi Mark,

A very fine image–surface tension is incredible. I like this one as presented. Awesome comp…Jim

Mark: Great find and a superb capture. The water tension really grabs the eye in a very good way. Most excellent. >=))>