Skylit Dock

This image was taken two weekends ago at state park not too far from where I live. It was part luck and part planning. I knew it was forecast to be low 30’s or high 20’s that morning. My goal was to find a composition showing fog rising off the water to add an element to the photo. What I did not expect was the sky to light up like it did or the dock itself. I had never been to this part of the park and I used a non photography app (alltrails) to find a hiking trail that would have a chance of having a lake alongside it. Unfortunately I showed up a bit later than I hope so as the sun was just rising, I arrived. So I hurried up and got a quick composition set up for my first shot. As much as I love this photo, I did underexpose the trees and had to do my best to increase the exposure of them to show the frost and bit of detail without making it too noisy.

Hi Nathan,

A beautiful sunrise. I think you did well to include the dock - although there’s really not much that is interesting about it, other than to provide context and bringing the viewer to the location - in other words, makes me feel like I could be standing there watching the sunrise.

Processing looks good in general. The only thing I would comment on would be the brighter values in the sky where the sun is coming up. I’m not sure if the values are clipped, but the brightness could be dropped a little. But, not huge deal really - after all, the sun is pretty bright… and rising. :wink:

You mention the trees. I think you did a good job there as well. I really don’t think the details in the trees are important here - they’re mostly silhouetted and really one can’t tell if there’s any frost or other details. The mist rising off the water, the mirrored reflection and the colorful sunrise are all plenty to make this image enjoyable. Hope that makes sense.

thanks for sharing!

Lon