Skyward Lessons: The Elder's Point

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

With a poised, dignified stretch towards the sky, the elder cormorant seemed to direct the younger’s attention to a spectacle above. Maybe it was the soaring of an eagle or the dance of the clouds forming shapes against the backdrop of an infinite canvas. The youngster, keen yet inexperienced, followed the line of sight, its eyes darting, searching for the hidden wonders that the sky held in its boundless depths, knowing that in time, it too would comprehend the sky’s silent language.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

248 mm at ISO 320 and 1⁄100sec at ƒ/18

I love the prose Saundie. Great detail in the feathers. I think I like the BW best of these. The color version seems a touch bright, but that doesn’t translate in the BW version.

1 Like

Hi Saundie, I too like the black and white best here. Really nice patterns on the birds, rock, and clouds. All works well together.
Nice sharpness for 1/100s. Was this hand held?

1 Like

I like both versions, Saundie, though I think I’d pull the blacks down in the colored version. The B&W gives it the feel of a sculpture.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank @Ed_Williams @Allen_Sparks
Thanks for the feedback. I’m really happy that B&W seems to be the preferred version! I will look into reducing the brightness and also lowering the blacks. Allen, I seem to be using a monopod a lot, as I am still getting used to lugging around a heavy lens. :pray: :+1:

1 Like

I agree with others, the b&w has much greater impact than the color version. It is good as it is, but the black & white makes the image standout!

I agree with @Dennis_Plank about the B&W version appearing like a metal statue. I do like the color version as well but I think this one translates better in B&W for me. Terrific poses by each bird and I love your descriptive/poetic narrative. Thanks for sharing

@John_Tobias @David_Haynes

Thanks for the feedback. BW is my preference as well, but then again, it would be 9 out of 10 times. :pray: :+1:

1 Like