Sleeping Barn Owl

This is my first Barn Owl. It was just sleeping there in a big Live Oak tree. They are so cool looking. Couldn’t ask for a more patient subject!
Bright sunlight on the branches beyond the owl were tough to soften. I tried my best, including dodging through a lights luminosity mask

Specific Feedback Requested

What do you think of the closed eyes? Usually in bird images I’d want to see open eyes…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
310mm, f/11, 1/400 sec, ISO 3200

2 Likes

Very good, Mark. Some of that background foliage is a bit distracting, but you did a nice job minimizing it. You got good detail and very nice lighting on the owl. It’s a bit tight, but I imagine the surrounding vegetation was pretty bad. This works well for me.

1 Like

Good for you to get your first barn owl. From my experience owls seem to return to the same spots for roosting so you may get more and perhaps can play the light to your better advantage. The closed eyes do not bother me. Owls rest during the day. They sure look puffy. Well done.

1 Like

Oh I don’t mind the eyes closed at all. That and the fluffed up feathers make it look like a proper nap. The tree in the back is still a little bright, but what can you do? I think the square crop enhances the framing of the foliage. The shadows on the bird’s wing are nice for texture. Sweet find and well seen!

1 Like

Thanks @Dennis_Plank, @David_Leroy, and @_Kris ! Yup, those leaves are disctracting. I need to go back and open up the aperture to see if I can soften them some. And it is tight…was trying to minimize the brightness that shone through on the edges. Maybe early morning before the sun comes out, or a foggy day, will give better results!

How sweet! Love the details of the little spots on the chest! And love the light hitting the front of the owl! I like the closed eyes! It makes the owl look so cozy and relaxed!

1 Like

Hi Mark, I like all of the before mentioned and I do not mind the brighter limbs because the owl is sharp with well defined head. The owl seems to have a smile on its face. Very nice. I have been trailing a hawk this week and can only hope to capture him as you have done.
Wayne

1 Like

@Vanessa_Hill and @johnwayne, Thanks for taking a look and sharing your comments! This one must be having a happy dream…closed eyes and a smile on its face :crazy_face:

1 Like