"Sleeping Beauty"

What technical feedback would you like if any?

The f/8 aperture I used, is better suited for smaller birds, I found out, since the birds head was a little soft compared to the back feathers. Putting an Orton type glow on the whole bird, really improved the head, as well as the back feathers, I think. Any opinions?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

1/1000 sec @ f/8, Auto-ISO @ 800, Sony A7R4, Metabones Smart Adaptor, Canon f/4 70-200mm lens @ 200mm.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

dougbluntphotos

2 Likes

Great pose; gives it an almost human feel. Seems a little tight for such a big bird.

Very nice capture of this sleeping pose, with just a hint of eye contact. Colors look good and the background shows up the pinks very well. I would have liked to see the entire bird, or just the top part. Having part of the legs in there takes a bit away from this image.

YES, agreed with both comments. Thanks. My preferred ā€œwheelhouseā€ is landscapesā€¦but itā€™s fun to try the wildlife :wink:

Hi @Doug_Blunt. A nice pensive image for the flamingo. Colors / background compliment each other well.

I have to ask if this was taken at a zoo or other place where this bird is captive.

From the posting guidelines:
Photos taken of captive birds at zoos and wildlife rehabilitation centers may be posted in the Human & Fauna Gallery - please disclose the name of the facility where the photo was taken, as well as any other information that would be of value to those interested in wildlife conservation and education.

Thx. Keith

I love that pose, Doug and the head isnā€™t too soft. Iā€™m rather surprised that f/8 didnā€™t work at 200 mm, but you were obviously pretty close. I think you could brighten the eye a bit in this image-not too much. Well seen.

Yes, thank you all. Yes indeed, the Flamingo is part of a flock that is resident at Sarasota Jungle Gardens, Florida. I appreciate all the input!

Hi Doug, Really enjoyed this post. Aside from the apparent artistic aspect, which is very good, I find some humor in this photo which is sorely needed in our world today. The bird seems on the verge of a Grand Broadway show opening entrance. I believe this photo should be the poster child to help us through these times.
Wayne

Hi Doug, Tried playing with lighter area around the head shadow and overall shadow, lighten around the eye? ? ?
Wayne