Tropical Surprise

When the sun broke a little through the fog, it created a nice atmosphere. Tropical birds that have survived in Northern Europe. First seen in 1982, they are now a group of some 40 birds… Strange to see them wintering in our country … Chilean Flamingo’s. Thanks for any comments !

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D850 with 500mm F4 | 1/800 | f4 | ISO640 | overexposed 1FS | monopod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Another dandy. And again no overlaps and everything very close to same focal plane. It seems you had a stop or two to increase DoF but I suppose that would have less blur on bg.

For my eye that little break in bg trees and resulting slight highlight above right hand bird seems a bit of a nuisance.
Nice job. They really stand out well from surroundings and not over done.

Very lovely. The colors and mood are exquisite. I would suggest a slight crop off the left to balance the empty space on both sides. Also, depending on your editing philosophy I would get rid of the blackish bird in the lower right. As is, it is wonderful!

A lovely shot, Hans. The fog really makes this special. Just enough of the tree line in the background to be visible, but not distracting from the Flamingos. That is amazing that they are hanging out in the Netherlands.

I like this just as presented. A beautiful image. Is the second from the right the hybrid you posted earlier?

I love the subtleness of this image. I think with the subject of flamingos you nailed it.

Excellent use of fog to isolate the flamingos. Perfectly framed with wonderful atmospherics. The background, filtered through the fog is really sweet.

Such a tremendous image! I wouldn’t change a thing (other than the watermark)! Beautifully rendered. Thanks for sharing such a pleasing image…brought a smile to my face!

An image to be proud of. I wouldn’t change a thing.

Wonderful image with some nice weather to add the perfect effect. I thought flamingos were their pink-orange color because of their diet of shrimp. You got shrimp in Northern Europe too?

@Tony_Kuyper actually I do not know what they feed on here. In there breeding grounds in Germany there’s sweet water, so I guess no shrimp, as for the brackish waters here in The Netherlands I am not sure… sorry :wink: