It takes two (to tango)

These Flamingo’s were courting by the looks of it. The right one is a Chilean Flamingo, the left one a hybride Chilean and European. They stem from originally escaped birds, which now have bred and crossed in Germany and spend the winters in The Netherlands . It was a very gloomy day, so I choose for a sort of high-key approach by overexposing the image. Thanks for any comments ! Cheers, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D850 with 500mm f4 | 1/1000s | f5 | ISO 400 | overexposed 1FS | tripod. I enhanced the overexposure a bit in post processing.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Great interaction, Hans, and I like your high key presentation. Who would have thought Flamingos would naturalize that far north?

Thanks, Dennis and yes, remarkable indeed. At their breedings grounds in Germany the sweat water freezes in winter, so that’s why they come to our delta where they reside in the brackish water near the sea. Smart guys :wink:

I like this very much. Feels like a painting. Great choice on going high key. The pose is wonderful as is your final choice for composition. Nicely captured.

Lovely photo. I like that there is no overlap of bodies and both birds are in focus. I am guessing that you shot this vertical rather than a vertical crop.

Nice heart shaped reflection as well.

Interesting how they have expanded their range. Assisted extension. It would be a very long flight back to Chile.

Hans, this is quite the dance. Love the interaction you caught. High key works for me. Well done.

Flamingos are really fun to shoot. This is another really nice use of depth of field to isolate and focus on behavior, color, and detail. Well done. I have shot flamingos in the Camargue , in a wetlands area outside of Cagliari, Sardinia, and in another wetlands area adjacent to the southwest coast of Sardinia.

Candidate for a competition, I would say.
BTW, I do find your signature a bit distracting on these serene images.

Thanks all for your kind comments and ideas. @jaapv : the watermark is set as a default in my export, I hardly notice it myself anymore. The watermark is not meant to be nice, but I see what you mean :wink:

Hadn’t looked at your photos for a while but your portfolio is gorgeous. I like this shot in particular as it has a story behind it. Beautiful!
Grt, Ingrid.