Sideways Glance

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is one of my rare forays into Avian but don’t feel like you need to be gentle to a newbie :wink:. I’m visiting one of our sons in Birmingham and we took eight of my grandkids to the zoo. As we left we passed by a flamingo enclosure and this guy was right next to the fence and was posing quietly. The light was filtering through some trees creating some interesting shadow patterns. This was one of my favorites.

Specific Feedback

Would have preferred in a perfect world to have the eye at a thirds point but if I elevated the camera the BG would show too much. I suppose I could crop from the lower left. Would you do that or leave the comp unchanged?

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 70-200 f2.8 GM-II @ 200mm
ISO 400, 1/320 @ f11

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Oooh, gorgeous, Bill! Don’t change a thing. The balance is great. The visual weight of the eye is balanced by the weight of the aligned feathers. If you cropped to put the eye on a third, you’d lose all those wonderful feathers.

1 Like

I wouldn’t change anything either. Wonderful as is.

Beautiful image, Bill, with the lovely feather colors and textures and the eye just peaking out. Sometimes it works to have the point of interest in a corner and this is one of those cases.

I hate to do it to you, but I’m moving this to “Everything Else” which is where domestic and captive critters go.

The composition is just perfect.

Gorgeous light, color and detail! The comp is fine, with the lovely feathers being the subject. Flamingos are so frustrating to shoot because of the always-busy BGs.

Thanks Dennis. I was unaware so appreciate your taking the time.

Captive or not, this is captivating.

Groan. Sorry.

I have seldom been near flamingos so appreciate the close look at all that amazing plumage. They are such odd birds, but so interesting and graceful. And how many pink birds to we have, anyway? Even though it is their food that makes them this color, I love it for the distinction and the gradation of hues throughout. I don’t mind the placement of the head because it isn’t really the star of the show here, but a point of context. You really caught the light well to bring up texture, too. Nicely done.

I agree with those who say don’t change a thing. Check for dust spots and print BIG!
ML