Slumbering Man + UPDATED VERSION

UPDATED VERSION

ORIGINAL VERSION

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Slumbering Man Rock Formation.
I’d found this site a few weeks earlier and returned after reviewing the TPE program for sunrise coverage. What I did not see at the time and after post processing the scene was the top rock formation semblance to a reclined person. A friend saw the image and pointed the top rock design out.

Specific Feedback

Any reviews and comments appreciated.

Technical Details

Wista DX III 4x5 - Schneider APO 120mm lens - Velvia 50


Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

Vision and Purpose:
Conceptual:
Emotional Impact and Mood:
Composition:
Balance and Visual Weight:
Depth and Dimension:
Color:
Lighting:
Processing:
Technical:

2 Likes

Not sure I see a slumbering man, Paul, but I do see a troll’s foot. :slight_smile:

Nicely composed. I like the cactus on the right and how it balances with the large rock formation. The color is lively without being overdone and the sky looks great.

Just curious, but what is the light-yellow ground cover? Did the desert get some rain recently?

Well done, Paul!
-P

1 Like

Hi Paul,
You always manage to capture this wonderful warm glow of light against the backdrop of a cool blue sky. That color combination works beautifully for me. I also quite like the desert landscape surrounding the rock formation. I am not seeing a slumbering man, but like @Preston_Birdwell a troll’s foot. Beautifully done; no suggestions from me.

1 Like

@Preston_Birdwell @Ed_Lowe thank you both on the review and comments here.
Preston, yes the foliage is quite alive in this scene with resulting monsoonal activity that we see this time of year in JTNP. In fact, the main J-tree vertical has a few smaller siblings springing up at the lower area around it.
Okay, head-scratch, I can’t say I see the trolls foot, but here is what my friend thought looked a bit like a reclined person sleeping. Maybe even wearing a hat too?

Paul-Joshua Tree NP is a really fun place for photography, and you’ve done a good job here. I like the placement of the Joshua tree on the right and the rocks on the upper left. Good spacing. To my eyes the image looks a bit oversaturated, but that is very subjective. Nice photo.

1 Like

Hi Paul,
Yeah, I can see Charlie Brown sleeping on his back with a Green Bay Packers Cheese-head hat. I have no idea what a troll’s foot might look like :rofl:

I love the warmth you captured in this scene. I always enjoy your JTNP images, and this one is no different.

@Ted mentioned saturation, and to me, the rocks feel a little bit hot (kind of an orange that shifts to green?) and the joshua tree “grasses” on the trunks seem a little purple. I don’t generally comment on that kind of thing because I don’t have great confidence in my monitor calibration or the ambient light in my house. The rocks might be true to color at that time of day, but it’s worth taking another look at it.

I’m going to be in Palm Springs this February and March, and I’m hoping to go to Joshua Tree. It’s been a few years. This is inspiring me to make sure I actually do it and don’t merely lounge around a pool and shoot breeze-block triptychs, though I hope to do that too.
ML

1 Like

@Ted_Forman @Marylynne_Diggs I really appreciate your reviews and comments. I totally agree on color saturation items especially from monitors to monitors and also browsers. Over the years Firefox was impossible when reviewing images. Many looked off the charts in saturation, only to look normal using Googel Chrome or MS Edge. This image was a 4x5 using the last of my Velvia. Which can be hard to tame in post processing. Admittedly I lean toward saturation as it seems more alive than dead, especially in foliage at times.

btw: Marylynne, I always recommend the north area of the park on your trip over the south end for multitude of rock formations. The Geology Tour Road is a good place to venture into.

Another excellent shot from this area, Paul. Maybe it’s my monitor, since no one else has mentioned it, but I feel the yellow is just a tad too strong.

1 Like

This is great, Paul! The counterbalance between the joshua tree and the taller rocks in the background is really nice. Saturation looks good to me as I’ve seen those rocks warm up at sunrise/sunset and they can get pretty darn red. I do feel like the ground is a little too bright given the rest of the scene, though. Maybe 1/2 stop darker would do it? Also, I can’t really describe it but this has a luminosity to it that’s really nice. Could be that beautiful Velvia working its magic.

1 Like

@Michael_Lowe @Bret_Edge thank you each for your the thoughts on this sunrise scene.
I have lowered the overall saturation by -10 and used a NIK grad on the lower FG area with a -5 setting.
Post processing with aging eyes is not for sissy’s… :face_with_crossed_out_eyes:

1 Like

The updated version looks real nice, Paul. The changes are subtle, but effective.
-P

1 Like

Nailed it! The updated version is as close to perfect as you’ll get, IMHO.

1 Like

The face jumped out at me right away. I think he’s working on a facial tan.

Composition is top-notch and the colors are fine to me in the OP. My only thought would be to bring down the highlights a bit with a graduated burn from the bottom. Here’s a clumsy attempt.

1 Like

Diane, thank you as always, and yes, I agree with some D&B here and there to fine tune things… :+1:

I prefer the northern area as well. I’ve only been through the southern end once, and it felt a bit underwhelming. And of course, the Crossroads Cafe or whatever it is called now lures me in and out that way.
ML

1 Like

Paul, I caught the sleeping man (grinning) and his wierd hat quickly. (I’m sure, I don’t grin like that as the sun hits my face in the morning… :laughing:) I do think the slight darkening looks better. Not having been there, I can’t be sure, but the yellow grasses seem a bit too yellow to me.

1 Like

It’s funny but I can’t see the sleeping man but I sure can see the Troll’s foot that @Preston_Birdwell mentioned. That is clear as day to me. I’ve tried and I’ve tried but I can’t see the sleeping man. Oh well, I digress.
I like both versions and might prefer something in between. The recent rains have really set off the ground cover growth and since we’re getting clobbered right now, things should be even more lively in a couple weeks. Terrific composition Utilizing the Joshua Tree to balance the Sleeping Man rock formation. Well done.