Small beach landscape in black and white

This image was taken at Tybee Island GA shortly after Florence landed several days ago now. I didn’t see much here in the way of scenery except the ubiquitous sea oats and a gnarly old log with a root ball attached, thrown up on the beach during one of the storms last year. At the time, I didn’t think I could make anything of it, and knew I would probably delete it before I did anything with it. I converted it to b/w just to see if it would make a difference. I think it did, but I wish I had taken a long thoughtful look at it. I may go back for another look with something besides my bird lens to do it justice.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How well does the conversion work as a different take on a fairly common sight? If I go back (and I probably will) what would you recommend I do differently?

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D500, monopod
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/500s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 640
Full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2018, Silver Efex Pro, Camera Raw filter, TK sharpen for web @ 35%

1 Like

No matter the subject that’s a great creative way to use the grasses as a background. Nicely done @Phil_Hodgkins. :slight_smile:

Phil, I think this an interesting take on this subject. Using the grasses as a background works well. I especially like how you cropped this shot to clip the tops of the grasses and not show much sky, that works for me.

The shape and texture of the tree makes for a great B&W subject, I would certainly try some more shots of this subject. In terms of processing, I think adding some vignette around the frame edges would help, the background in the lower is very bright, and i might burn that area down a bit. I might also consider doing a little dodging of the shadow area in the round hole of the tree, to bring up a little more detail there.

Phil,

This is quite an effective nature abstract. While the log and root ball aren’t the most attractive in nature, I think the success here is in using the sea grass as a unifying background. Also, good decision with the b&w as it makes it more graphic and about design, background, etc.; I’m not sure color would have done any of that.

Not sure what to suggest if you return. Not knowing the surrounds, but my thought my be to get a wider view, still incorporating the sea grass and make it less about the details of the log and root ball.

Lon

I love the background grasses Phil but I am not sure the dark roots work. The lighter wood in the foreground works well but the dark knotted wood stops the eye from seeing the waving grass in the background.