Small insect how to crop?

Specific Feedback Requested

I posted before and what I thought was a ok crop. Big mistake here using the 6D ii full frame. But he was there so why not even though the 90D made more sense, they do pose. So just looking for suggestion on crop

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 6D ii 180 macro 1/200 f/20 iso 800 Most likley on a tripod

Dean, what a nice catch. Love the flower he is flying out from. Beautiful colors. For me, the full frame works best. I get to enjoy more of the flower, and it gives the little guy somewhere to go. He looks like he is in take off mode. Wonderful details in him and the flower. Well done.

Well that is what I wondered because I liked the flower as well @Shirley_Freeman. He was not my reason being out there, bees of course.

1 Like

Nice capture Dean. I prefer the second image because it gives more information, along with giving the fly more space. In addition, at least for me, there is plenty of detail in the second photo. Great shot and nicely done.

love the colors also and so the number 2 is my choice., Great BIF (bug in flight) shot

Dean, your original crop is striking because of how the colorful flower fills the frame. My suggestion on it would be to move the fly a bit further to the left by expanding slightly the crop size (your second post shows that you have enough flower there). It’s a non-standard position for the fly, but it emphasizes the fly so the flower and fly have equivalent visual weights. Your second post is more conventional with the fly’s small size letting the flower dominate the viewing.

Thanks everyone, These comments have helped a lot