Small insect (rework)

REWORK

ORIGINAL

Description:

A small trivial insect (length mayby a quarter of an inch) landed on the inside of a window at my weekend cottage. I thought it had an interesting pattern so I grabed my camera and took some images.

The green background is a hedge approximately 5 yards from the window.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Any comments are welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
No, but in-camera focus stacking.
f/8, 1/6 sec., ISO 100, camera Olympus OM-D E-M1X, Olympus macro lens 60 mm

3 Likes

Ola, great find. This moth is one of the Alucitidae. “Both fore- and hind-wings consist of about six rigid spines, from which radiate flexible bristles creating a structure similar to a bird’s feather” (Wikipedia). You did really well to get that much detail, as flash would surely have been reflected by the window. The green background, angle and square crop are perfect to my eye. I’d just clean up those two oval drops (?) from the window! Well spotted.

That is so cool! And thanks Mike for the info about what it is. I’ve never seen a moth with wings quite like it. So interesting.

You are a photographer after my own heart, Ola. I do the same thing - cool bug (grabs camera) - or basically any other thing that catches my eye. The Oly macro is a thing of beauty isn’t it? And the in-camera stacking did a nice job. I use it only occasionally in my Lumix, but it’s nice to have in a pinch.

Ola, this looks great. Its wings look so delicate, they remind me of a hand held fan. There are a series of lines and a couple of dots along the right side of the wing, that are probably worth cleaning up.

Ola, it does remind me of a hand held fan as @Mark_Seaver said. I also agree with him about the little specks right near the front of the right wing. Very impressive though, if he is only about a quart of an inch.

Beautiful, Ola. The wings remind me of crystal. They look so delicate. Great detail and nice capture.

Beautiful photo, Ola! What a neat looking moth! The wing feathers look like frost patterns. So delicate and intricately designed!

Amazing! I also watch for critters on windows, which are usually artistically dirty. I might desaturate the yellows a little bit, or bend the hue warmer, to be more analogous to the moth’s brown.

Hi Ola,

This looks pretty good and my only suggested edits include dropping down the saturation of yellows and greens in the BG and bump up the brightness on the moth. It is a fantastic view of one of our more unusual microleps…Jim

@_Kris, @Mark_Seaver, @Shirley_Freeman, @linda_mellor, @Vanessa_Hill, @Diane_Miller, @Jim_Zablotny and @Mike_Friel thanks for your kind comments.

@Mike_Friel thanks for telling us what it is.

I have now cleaned up the BG and changed the color. A rework is posted at the top.

I like the color change! BG colors that are analogous to the subject creates a more cohesive visual feeling.

1 Like

Ola, a nice improvement.

1 Like

Perfection has been achieved. Awesome repost…Jim

1 Like

oooh much more natural and nuanced. The detail is extraordinary. Nice!

1 Like

Agreed - it’s reached tip-top quality!

1 Like