Small World

I’ve been seeing a lot of ladybugs/ladybirds as of late in grasses, fields. I’ve never really photographed them before, so I’ve been getting a lot of chances in the last 2 days. They actually move around a lot more than I thought! And fast! I was crouching on the ground as usual.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the framing work, I made 8x11 but it’s basically the position as shot? Anything else…

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
55mm
1/800
f/8
ISO 800
Cropped to 11x8 it’s basically the original size. Only needed to do slight adjustments in lighting. (Or at least that’s all I thought I needed to do)

apani.hill
1 Like

Very nice, Vanessa. I love Ladybugs, and you are right, they do move around a lot, and fairly fast for their size. I like how the plant from her. I wish her face was brighter, but, as I recall, you don’t have the capability to edit selectively. Still a very fine look at the lady.

1 Like

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman! I have a lot of shots of different ladybugs, I’m sure more with face views! I just kind of liked the profile and positioning on the bud. But I’m going to go back and find another one to post for tomorrow that you might like better! :slight_smile:

Vanassa, I do like this one. The face is in the shadow a bit, but hey, we can’t always get nature to pose perfectly in every way. I like how you caught her climbing downward on the bud. Looking forward to more though. I really love Ladybugs!

1 Like

Nice photo Vanessa. I do like the way this is framed because the subject helped looking downward. The lady bug if one wondered what she was thinking would same NOW WHAT.

1 Like

Thanks @Dean_Salman! Glad you like the composition! Yeah, she does look like she’s thinking about her next move! Like the next millisecond!

I like this a lot, Vanessa. As has been noted, the position of the ladybug is excellent. I believe the highlights could be toned down a bit, but that’s personal taste. Overall, very nice!

1 Like

Thanks @terryb! So does that mean you think it looks too bright? ‘Toning down the highlights?’

1 Like

Yes, for my taste, anyway.

1 Like

I’ll have to go back in and give it a try!

I don’t know. Now that I look at it again, it looks pretty good!

Hi Vanessa,

Your comp is very nice and I like how the subject is framed by the plant material. The exposure is difficult due to the shadowed portion of the beetle and the bright highlights on the elytra. If you can come in closer, that will certainly help with getting more sharp details on the bug. You might try to use flash that will provide some fill where it is needed. Set your on camera flash at -2 ev and diffuse it with some parchment paper or vellum. Your camera may want to sync at 1/200 of a second so you can drop that iso down. With a short lens, I can get outstanding sharpness while shooting at or slightly above the rewciprocal of your lens focal length (1/60-1/200 for example)…Jim