Snail

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D3400 55-200mm lens, 31mm extension tube, ISO 200 and 1/200 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Isn’t it fun to get down to snail level? Perfect exposure and you have nice detail on the parts of this one that are in focus, but there is also a lot of detail on the ground. Almost more than on the snail, so my eye tends to fixate on the sticks. Maybe try focus stacking? From your settings, it seems like your shutter speed was high enough you could do that without the snail moving too much. Their antennaes (eyes?) do move a lot, though.

Thanks Bonnie, I knew you were going to say that LOL … I have researched how to stack and seems easy enough just haven’t done it yet, I have the tools just lazy I guess :blush: also I move a lot too, camera and off camera flash were hand held.

Michael, this is a very interesting and challenging subject. Your top down look means that the ground will play a significant role, so where the snail is will matter. It also means that with a high magnification view (like this) it’s almost impossible to get the longer antennae sharp so you have to plan for what bits will be sharp and how that works in the image. I like the mix of shell, body and ground that you’ve got here. You don’t indicate your f-stop, but I think a bit more dof (so that the shell edge is sharp) could be interesting. Unless you can get the snail to freeze, I doubt that you could get a stack to work.

I don’t know the f-stop, there is no aperture ring on this lens and the tubes are manual “don’t talk to the camera I mean” cheap , it is what it is as far as DOF unless there is something I don’t know, I really like the setup but not being able to control aperture is a disadvantage. I have other manual lens’s however like I said I have grown attached to this one for this type of photo. Thanks for the comment FYI everything is hand held, I think I move more than the snail LOL