Grasshopper

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D3400 ISO 100, f/32, 1/200 sec Nikon 60mm micro D with 24mm tube, side and front corner flash, 30 photos stacked with Helicon Focus 7

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

That is what you can call “in your face”, Michael. Great details of the grasshopper. On my screen it appears a bit dark on parts of the subject. It may have something to do with the side and front lighting you used that is brightening some of the subject, bot some seems dark. You sure got in nice and close to him. Glad he was will to cooperate for 30 images.

Thanks Shirley, Sorry to say he was deceased when I found him therefor he was very cooperative, I’m still playing with lighting tec. found a really good deal on a macro lens and have been shooting nothing but macro. Just getting the hang of it .

Sorry to hear that he was deceased, but that explains you being able to get 30 clicks off without movement! I am delighted to hear that you got a good deal on a macro lens and experimenting with it. It is a whole new world it seems, when we start shooting the tiny insects, etc. I am looking forward to some of you shots as you use your new lens.

thanks Shirley, attached is a shot I always wanted to take and now I can … first time so its a little rough also never stacked before I got the new “used” lens. (no crop) 49mm of tubes

I have bought a few of my lenses used too, and got a much better deal that buying new. I wish you the best with it and the extension tubes.

Michael, This is a terrific look at this grasshopper. The details are outstanding. I do see stacking artifacts in several places where there’s “doubling” of particular parts that are common when there’s movement during the stack. (The antennae, the top of the eyes and both forelegs.) These can often be cleaned up in Helicon, but it takes a lot of time. Since the hopper was dead, the movement may have been camera movement. When I’m shooting a stack carefully, I use mirror lock-up and a cable release to avoid camera movement (I’m a “button masher”). With an older, used lens, you may be able to track down the detailed specifications for the lens that will tell you it’s maximum design magnification. That in turn tells you the maximum length of extension tube you can use, since once you exceed the design specification for magnification everything gets soft in a hurry. Alternatively, you could get a piece of graph paper and shoot at various magnifications looking for when you lose sharpness.

Thanks Mark, I,m still learning, this was maybe the fourth photo I ever stacked and funny you mentioned mirror lock I just learned about that yesterday and haven’t used it yet and I always use remote release when I can. I noticed a lot of movement when I focus front to back or back to front but Halicon does a great job. thanks again " I know it’s not really movement "

Michael: A face only a mother could love. Really nice work with the stack and your lighting looks pretty good to me. Please consider resizing your posted images to about 1500 pixels on the longest side. Posting full size puts a bit of a strain on the server and makes your images a more inviting target for image pirates. >=))>

Thanks Bill, I save two files, one large and one small, I must have uploaded the wrong one by mistake, sorry