Young Grasshopper

I was photographing some flowers and found this next to the flowers. I liked the backlight that highlighted the inner structures. I guess this is a young one that hasn’t developed the wings yet. The antennae were very long, so they are cut off.

What technical feedback would you like if any? any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII + 180/3.5 + tripod
f/13, 1/60, ISO 640
ACR for RAW conversion, PSCC. A small crop on the top and left. Another blade of grass cloned out on the left, otherwise, background is as captured. Topaz denoise applied to background.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Ravi, this is impressive. I too love the backlighting on him. I don’t think I have ever seen a grasshopper backlit where it shows his inner structures. I normally would like the antenna to not be cut off, but in this case I as long as they are, they would are going out of focus anyway, so it isn’t so noticeable. I like the diagonal stem he is on, and him headed downward with plenty of room in this vertical image is nice. You have a nice smooth background that compliments him as well. In my opinion, this is excellent shot

1 Like

Fine shades of green and the larger version says it all Ravi. The larger version says it all…beautiful piece of work.

Balan Vinod

Ravi: Terrific find and a superb capture. Only photographers would notice the antennae but to make this perfect I would simply clone some BG over the end and “trim” the antennae so that it ends within the frame. Marvelous image. >=))>

1 Like

Thanks Bill. That is a great idea. Looks a lot better.

Thanks Shirley, Bill and Balan for your comments. I looked at some of the images of grasshopper nymphs. This looks more like a cricket nymph due to its long antenna.

Leave the antennae as is, the long antennae are one of the defining characters for this insect family. Great shot as presented…Jim

Ravi, this is a great look at this insect. (It may be a katydid, but I don’t say that with any certainty.) The long antennae are characteristic and do make photographs challenging since including all of them makes the insect very small. The variety of greens and modest mix of reddish tones make a very gentle and pleasing photo.

1 Like

I would leave the antennae they are.

Ravi, nice image and really see nothing to critique. That said though, I feel it should be a bit more magnified to be a true macro image. I don’t see enough detail.