Grasshopper

The first of the season and I was surprised too see it. Small about 1/2 inch or 12mm. Cool morning with a bit of dew so grasshopper was quite still. I got close, took a couple frames and backed away to let it warm up

Specific Feedback Requested

Photo is cropped to about 75% of full frame. I left some vegetation in on right side to add environment. Good idea?
I tried to get more off the full body but it was tricky to not move the leaf it was on.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
R5, 100mm macro, f/8, 1/80, ISO 1600, LR, PS. I reduced highlights on the tips of the leaf.

2 Likes

Beautiful job on this grasshopper, David! He looks like he’s posing for you! You were able to get such great details! It’s nice having some of the green bg in my opinion. I think it’s neat when you can get a tiny creature but still have some of their environment showing. Really awesome capture!

Thanks @Vanessa_Hill . It is like it is peeking over its fortress leaf to see what is going on.

1 Like

David, grasshoppers are pretty amazing, with their “armor looking” bodies. I like his position in the plant. I wish I could enlarge it. I just had that problem with another image. I wonder if it is a system error.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman Yes. they are well armored. I also noticed on another posting that the image would not enlarge. It does not sound like an individual problem.

I noticed a wee one the other day, too. It was while shooting the tiger beetles and I hope I can turn my lens to the hoppers once it stops raining.

Nice vertical orientation of the bug…you have some good focus on the eye and developing wings. It looks a tad bright to me though and I think pulling the blacks down will help.

The non-enlarging issue has been going on all day. I had to post an image 3 times before it would load properly to view.

David: Great subject and a fine capture. You might go back and try to edit by deleting the image and then reposting it. You would not have to create a whole new post. Worth the effort IMO. >=))>

Thanks @Kris_Smith and @Bill_Fach I took Bill’s advice and added the image back in. Now both images enlarge!! Thanks you both for the comments. Kris I generally take the exposure slider down on the image, then select the subject and bring it back up as well as do other things. So grasshopper would appear a bit brighter than the surroundings.