Hey. . . .I was taking a napping here. . . + re-post

Found this grasshopper while watering plants on our patio. Didn’t seem to scare him at all, he just looked at me like I had totally disturbed his nap… . and his snacking on the plant.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I did sharper and reduced noise a bit in LR. Also blurred and toned down the background.
Still trying to squeeze as much detail out of my image as my equipment will allow. I took this at f/20, 1/20 sec., iso 400, 100mm.
Any suggestions, comments and/or thoughts welcome and appreciated.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I like the way he was nestled in among the leaves. Does he need more environment? Any other thoughts.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/20, 1/20 sec., iso 400, at 100mm

Thanks.

Linda, looks like you squeezed out plenty of detail in this image. He doesn’t look like he minds one bit of you invading his space. I like his pose for you. I am bothered a bit by the edge of the leaf in the bottom right corner, but you probably don’t want to crop in anymore and cut off more of his back end. I wonder if a little vignette would help calm that edge down and make it less distracting. Still a very nice image.

Thanks Shirley. Good point about the LRC leaf being a bit light. And I agree, I don’t want to crop any more. In this re-post, I’ve done a luminosity mask and burred just a bit to tone down the brightness.

1 Like

Second version is better than the first. Grasshoppers are quite photogenic and this one is no exception. Well done…Jim

Linda, I like the repost. A nice resting pose, especially on a diagonal leaf. Good details on the grasshopper. Not much you can do about the LRC apart from what you have done. May be a little crop at the bottom may minimize the distraction of LRC, but that would make it too tight. It looks good as it is now.

Linda, good job getting in close for lots of details. I especially like the lighter spots in its eye and that you’ve got decent detail in both antennae. (Antennae are hard because they stick out so much.) Your burning-in of the leaf edge, lrc, looks good.

I’m good with either image. Hey, we’re nature photographers! We take what’s there! Really nice detail throughout.

Best,
Terry

Thanks @terryb, @Shirley_Freeman, @Jim_Zablotny, @Mark_Seaver and @ravi. Getting other peoples prespectives and comments are invaluable to me, thanks again.

1 Like

Linda: The repost makes an already fine image even better. I think you have just the right amount of supporting environment and you have really good detail in the eye and wings. Very nicely done. >=))>

Thanks Bill, it’s good to hear that I’m headed in the right direction. I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Nice detail on the grasshopper and I like the nice full side view. The repost tops it up. It is always nice when they come to you.