Good news. . .bad news

Meet Gerald, the plant eating grasshopper. Found him this morning on my hibiscus eating away. Drats! That’s the bad news, good news: think I got a fairly good photo of him??

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Cropped 1:1, did some content aware edits and cloning. Does the composition work? Is the oof flower a distraction? Any and all other comments welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Is the background to light? Does the grasshopper standout enough? Any other comments/thoughts are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, f/10, 1/100 sec., iso 500, 100mm

Linda, I had a nice chuckle when I read your comment “meet Gerald”. I’m glad you didn’t hold it against Gerald for eating your plants. I think the square crop works well. Love the color of the reds and yellows of the flower, and the details you captured. It would have been nice if the off white flower in the BG wasn’t there, but sometimes it is hard to get the critter to pose with just the right BG. I am guessing that the rest of the BG is blue sky? If so, it might be a bit light. Still, it is an excellent capture. Love the way the flower is leaning into the frame, and that Gerald seems to be standing on his bottom while enjoying your flower. Nicely done.

Linda: Great looking grasshopper. I like the perch and the terrific detail you have in the critter and the flower. I like your little party crasher as well. Nicely done. >=))>

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman and @Bill_Fach. Definitely had mixed emotions about this photo. Grasshopper has great designs and detail in it’s body, but he was eating my flowers (along with his little friend)! The “blue” sky, Shirley, is a white post that was in the shade and the “white” flower is part of the pea gravel on a path leading up to our porch. But your points are well taken. I’ll try giving the background a bit of burning and evening out the color range to see how that works. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Too funny, Linda. I let my imagination run wild. I think the BG is fine. The only reason I said something was that you asked if it was too light, and from there I try to make it a flower and the blue sky.

No worries Shirley. The background does feel a bit light and am working on a slightly darker version. I do appreciate your perspective. I think it is great to have someone else because as we’ve all said, everyone see things differently. Thanks for taking the time.

1 Like

Hi Linda, I like the details you captured in the head and thorax - the critical focus seems to be well placed. Nicely done.

Thanks Allen, appreciate your thoughts.

Linda, I think your comp. and focus look very good here. The details in the hopper and the flower’s center look very good and the bright reds liven up an otherwise muted scene.

1 Like

Thanks Mark, appreciate your comments.

Great photo Linda. The oof flower does not bother me. The GH looks great and I was looking deep in the eye to see if the reflection was apart of him/her or just the way the eye was.

Thank you Dean, glad you liked it.