Grasshopper Taking a Break

I do a lot of insect photography so I am just looking for tips and suggestions on this kind of photography. For this I used a 90D, 100-400 at 400mm F/8 1/160 sec I used a flash with a disfuser, he/she was in the shade.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Looking for Composition tips

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Dean: You did really well with this IMO. I like your DOF/Plane of focus management especially (although the tail and end of the wings do go a little soft) and that you were able to get a relatively clean and complementary BG. About the only suggestion that I would make aesthetically is that I might have rotated the camera a bit so the hopper is in a more diagonal orientation in the frame but this is just fine as is. Many kudos. :+1::+1:>=))>

Dean, You really did a wonderful job on this. You managed the lighting very well. The details are excellent. I like the limb that you caught him on. I think that Bill made a good suggestion. I don’t have any to add. Great job!

Many thanks Bill and Shirley, the rotation sounds like a great idea and it is cropped some so I can do just that

Dean, the details and color in the hopper’s head, thorax and legs look great. To get the entire hopper sharp, you need to get the camera back parallel to the hopper (and that’s quite a challenge unless the hopper is willing to sit still for quite a while). Your f-stop has rendered the background nicely soft and it’s colors match those of the hopper very well.