Snipe on a fence post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

From a car window (open) on acounrey road in iceland, probably on the lookout for sheep

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

iso 1600, f9, 20000th 400 plus 1.4X, A1

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Well color me as green as the background here. While I have seen these odd little birds doing their odd little walk across various dirt roads, I’ve never managed a photo, much less one this distinctive and interesting. That straying little foot is a nice touch and I love the simplicity of the compositions and lines. The bird and the post look a bit ‘cut out and pasted on’ if you know what I mean. Probably from the even light, but you could try a little massaging to further improve the tonalities in them. Darkening the shadows a bit might be all it takes. Super shot.

A successful “snipe hunt”! Darkening the shadows and pull down the overall exposure are my suggested edits. Comp is good…Jim

Another fine view of this snipe from Iceland, David. I see what Kris is talking about in terms of the pasted on look. I think the snipe and fence post ended up a bit oversharpened in processing. If you have the original layer underneath, reducing opacity a touch would mellow it out. If not you could copy the original and do the equivalent after the fact.