Snow Covered

I went back to a nature preserve to try to get a shot I didn’t get perfect on my last visit. (That shot still isn’t perfect, but that is okay.) Since I was there, I figured a would get a small scene for the weekly challenge. I don’t usually take abstract photos. (In fact this photo was originally of a much larger “scene”, but I cropped it down to fit the challenge.) However, I am glad I tried something different.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Since it was taken as a completely different composition, it was shot at an angle and the focus falls off a bit in the lower right corner. If I were to try this shot again, I would take it straight on. I may go back and try a similar shot again sometime.
I am not looking for any particular feedback, just submitting my work for the challenge.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7ii, 24-120 f/4 @ 62mm, ISO 100, f/14, 1/250 sec. Minimally processed (but significantly cropped) in Lightroom.

Hey sorry this one fell through the cracks. I can see why you were drawn to this scene, but for me it just kind of sits there. The differing textures are sort of interesting, but the light is so harsh that it lacks nuance. For me I’d have looked for a singular element that our eyes can land on - a mushroom, a bit of moss, a dead leaf, something to give us a focus point in this scene that is so uniform. Barring that, you could go closer and just take a slice out of this log and present a tighter and more obvious subject. Maybe next time. Luckily snow-covered logs aren’t rare!