Snow Shadows 3

The rhythms in nature never cease to mystify me. This is almost auditory to me in this image. I have been trying to capture these shadows in different ways and sites . The lighting in the background just added to the scene for me.

Specific Feedback Requested

Composition and processing

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony Alpha III Sony 4 70-200 @200mm f/18 @1/125 ISO 100

5 Likes

Wow. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a snow scene like this! Very unique and different. This looks like a river of mercury! Kudos for seeing and capturing and processing “out of the box”

This is an amazing shot. I’d love to know a little more about how you processed it. Did you use PS? Are the shadows of tree trunks or caused by ripples in the snow? The composition just knocks me out!

Thank you for your comments @Mark_Muller, @Mike_Friel . These are shadows from trees mixed with shadows from undulations in the snow. I use Lightroom classic for processing. In this image decrease yellow/red, increase orange/green, increase shadows/contrast, decrease highlights and slight decrease temp and dehazing. I also used a radial filter to very slightly accentuate the white in the small area of background .

Whoa. What an eye-catching image. Well done.

Well done. These are some of my favorite kinds of images - we just got a dusting of snow and it’s not -20 anymore so I might head out in a day or two. I like the vertical lines of the trees - they really reinforce the composition. And the undulating shadows on the snow are killer. If it were me I’d raise the exposure just a bit and maybe the whites, too. The use of the radial filter is brill.

Great lines and tones. This one turned out extremely good. Very creative and very well executed,

The combination of “surreal” and “real” is fascinating Mario. I actually like that the background is a little soft; I think it increases the effect.

Fascinating image. The lines really don’t look like shadows to me. So you have sweeping lines backed by trees. The combination is arresting and makes you think about what you’re seeing. A combination of reality and fantasy. It’s also a very flamboyant image (sort of Italian?). Very creative and well seen. Don’t know what to suggest. Crop out the wavy line at the bottom for consistency?

Fascinating. A marvellous abstract beautifully seen and rendered in black and white.

This is one of my favorite images from your work Mario, great job on this. As @Igor_Doncov said it a mixture of reality and fantasy. Great idea to include to include the row of trees at the top, it elevates this image several notches as a result. I also agree with Igor about cropping the bottom, the shadow in the LRC is bending in a direction different than the ones directly above it. It breaks up the sense of rhythm slightly. But that is a nitpick, this is one heck of an abstract image.

This is amazing and wonderful!! Fantastic that you saw it and then rendered it so well!

Wow, Mario! I really love this. It’s kind of abstract and surreal. I love how you were able to capture the tree shadows in the foreground snow. Awesome photo!

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions @Igor_Doncov @Vanessa_Hill @_Kris @John_Williams @Kerry_Gordon @Diane_Miller @Ed_McGuirk @Harley_Goldman @Ronald_Murphy. Ed and Igor, I have a slightly cropped version based on your suggestion to purify the rhythm although one could say it was a flat note in the melody!

2 Likes

The reference to music and rhythm for this image are so right on . It’s a symphony of shadows !!!

1 Like

It’s like a wave with trees behind it. One of the things not mentioned but a big contributing factor is the quality of light behind the trees. It’s marvelous and it’s what makes the trees so special.

I love this version even more, and the first one set a very high bar! Mesmerizing!!!

What everyone else said - fabulous! I was ok with your first crop. That little bit of curve at the bottom mimicked the rounded hill at the top.

Thanks a lot for these very informative details, Mario. I’m enjoying your other shadow shots too.

Your photo is really cool! Thank you also for sharing the post processing steps. I enjoy learning about what goes into a great photo.

1 Like