Snow Shadows 4,5

Like Kristen I was wading into 2.5 feet of snow to make this photo. I need snow shoes. I have two versions of this scene. I made a small change in my position/perspective and it dramatically changes the image. I am posting both just to show how the shadows in particular change. I like the lighting on the branch and that the branch parallels the shadows in each version but differently. Honestly I am not sure which works better but am curious as to what others may think. I also am not sure I effectively augmented the lighting on the branch.

Specific Feedback Requested

composition and processing

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Angular shot: Sony Alpha III/ Sony 4 75-200 @ 130mm, f/22, 1/60 iso 100
Horizontal shot: 200mm. f/22, 1/40 iso 100

Was out on my 'shoes today. They definitely help!

My take on the two - in the first one the branch is an element of the photo as a whole; it mimics and works with the shadows themselves. In the second the branch is the focal point; it breaks up the shadows and disrupts the flow, but in a good way. I think I like the second better, but only by a nose. I’d be tempted to crop it closer, eliminating the very top and bottom shadows, but that minor.

I like #1 over #2 primarily because I think it’s diagonal lines are more exciting than the horizontal lines in #2. I’m not sure about the very thin line in the ulc of #1. You might be better off without it. #2 feels a but right heavy to me.

1 Like

Hard to beat snow shoes when it’s that deep!

My take agrees with @Igor_Doncov ; I think the diagonals work a bit better for me. This is a very interesting comparison to your prior image.

I prefer image #1 for the same reasons noted by @Igor_Doncov, the diagonals win out. I think the second image would be improved by cropping from the bottom to eliminate the shadow along the bottom edge, it pulls my eye away from the center of the image. I tend to prefer the more abstract look of some of your earlier posts. I think the tree stump adds some reality that competes with the abstract-ness of the shadows.

Mario,

I much prefer the first version for the reasons stated by @Igor_Doncov .

I have to add #1 is really a fine image, the diagonal shadows and log create a lot of interest and B&W takes full advantage of the tones and texture.

No. 1 is my favorite - for the overall composition and @Igor_Doncov 's notes, And again, Wow! This style of photo is intriguing. I know you already posted some editing notes with the previous image, but if you ever do a further walkthrough of how photos like this are taken and processed I would like to learn.

Thank you all @Igor_Doncov @BenM @Kris_Smith @John_Williams @Alan_Kreyger @Ed_McGuirk for taking the time to comment . After stepping away a day I prefer #1 as well…because of the diagnonals (seems these are always a good compositional variable).

The diagonals in your first presentation make the shot like others have said. I also like the contrast and abstract nature.