Snowgum in a blizzard

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken walking around one of the many lakes atop Mt Field in Tasmania, where blue skies suddenly gave way to a flurry of snow which did not last long, although it provided me with the opportunity to compose this image of a snowgum hovering above the lake, with the snow isolating the branches. A shutter speed of 1/15 was used to create some texture with the falling snow.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is welcome! I would appreciate suggestions on potential crops for the image as well :slight_smile:

Technical Details

Taken at 200mm, f/22, 1/15 second, ISO 100

Minor global edits made in Lightroom, including increasing the saturation of greens and slight increase in clarity.

3 Likes

This is a really nice image. I love the few green patches of leaves and the overall aesthetic of the three. For me, the image is great as it is. Maybe I would try to lighten the reflection in the bottom left corner, it is a bit contrasty and I find that my eyes are in consequence attracted to it. But again, a very nice image.

Dang, what a fantastic image you have here!
There’s a lot to like. The blowing snow is perfect.
My only niggle is the bottom right corner occupies a TON of space and therefore has a lot of visual weight. You can’t really fix this by cropping since you’d lose that nice reflection and the nice branch on the right, but hopefully you have a few other compositions that will allow for it.

Thank you for the kind words Matt! I definitely agree with you about the bottom right corner. I do have some slight variations on this composition although this was the only image where I managed to capture the snow all falling in the same direction, here is one example, which was taken with a faster shutter speed:

Thank you for the feedback! I’ll definitely try to lighten the reflection, i agree that it is quite contrasty compared to the rest of the image.

Keenan, this is an incredible shot. Nature gave you a real gem. I took the liberty of downloading it . I agree with @Adrien_Nieerhus that the refelection is distracting. @Matt_Payne mentions the issue of blank space. With these thoughts in mind I cropped out some of the refection leaving enough to help ground the picture. Then I cropped in on the side as much as possible. Next I used content aware fill to take out the dark object at the bottom. Then I used the TK8 plugin to make a free hand vinette to minimize the blank space . Here is what a screen shot looked like of the settings. I draw the mask with a feathering of 100.
Vinette settings. (upload://xJrJwqaUPEEAC8goG48UZe0Gpt.jpeg)

After I took this screen shot I did decrease the opacity of the vinette to 27%. I was tempted to lighten the picture, but I really like the mood it sets. There is no reason to stop photographing in “bad” weather!

3 Likes

Hi Barbara, Thank you for your detailed feedback! I think cloning out the rock in the bottom works very well, and the vignette you created does a great job at minimising the blank space. Thank you for including the settings, I am definitely going to try recreate your edits and i’ll update the post once I have done so :slight_smile: Great point about photographing in bad weather!

(apologies for the late response)

1 Like

Keenan, I am glad you found it helpful. Apologies for a late response are not needed. This is a great picture.