Snowstorm at Garden of the Gods

Snowstorm at Garden of the Gods - crop idea

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was a day of heavy snow and some wind at Garden of the Gods park in Colorado Springs, CO. I really like how the falling snow softens the looming rock formation in the background. At the same time, it outlines the detail and texture of the rock. It’s sometimes hard to get a sense of scale with these formations, but the barely visible tree about 2/3 up is probably taller than the one at the left of the view (12 to 15 feet high). This fin is about 200 feet tall.

Specific Feedback

I took a number of photos throughout the park that day, and this was one of my favorites. I don’t really care for how much sky the original image shows, but I struggled to find a crop I was happy with. the second image is an idea. Suggestions are welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 200, f13, 1/80, 40mm

Great TONE in your photo. I think the second photo cropped differently works for me but both images are really nice. Maybe a little more contrast and slight vignette…
You captured a real nice setting!!!

Denise, I like the colors and textures here. The contrast between the sharp foreground tree and the snow softened rock formation at the back give a good 3D sense. My though for a crop is halfway between your two choices. I think some sky adds to the atmospherics, while the tight crop is emphasizing the mountain at the back. If you want to push that feeling even more, you could crop the fence off the bottom…

@Mark_Seaver I tried your suggestion on splitting the difference on the crop, and you’re right. It does look better. I also increased the Dehaze by a tiny bit and the color of the rock is better without losing that dreamy feel. Did try removing the fence, but I wasn’t happy with my results, so it’s staying in. And since this is actually a park with heavy ‘people’ traffic, I sometimes like to remind viewers that we can’t just go anywhere we want (although in reality bushwhacking through that Gambel oak thicket would not be fun!).