Snowy Egret and Repost

Repost per @Robena.Sirett suggestion. I was wondering about that brighter edge but decided to leave it there. Just too wedded to my traditional aspect ratios.

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another culled from six years ago. I ran across this one going through an old folder this morning. This is from a place called Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center in Port Aransas, Texas. There’s a boardwalk going out into a wetland with an observation tower in the middle of it. This egret perched on the rail with the tower in the background. I liked the juxtaposition of the organic shape with all the rigid lines of the structure.

Specific Feedback

I think this works partly because the background structure is so out of focus that it’s softened and blends more with the organic lines of the bird while at the same time contrasting with them.

Technical Details

Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary @ 252 mm, f/7.1, 1/1600, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4608x3208. Taken on April 12, 2017 @ 9:19 AM.

It works for me. I think an important element is that the way the railing goes OOF leads the eye to the BG structure, unifying the composition. Nice pose with good whites.

The bright vertical line in the ULC draws some attention, but not sure what to do about it. If cropped important space is removed. If darkened a bit, it seems other areas should be treated the same to be consistent. Not sure if this makes sense. Otherwise I really think this is a wonderful shot.

I love your vision of the natural juxtaposed with the man-made…it really works here. I might try a square crop to remove the vertical in the ULC…I don’t feel that area is really necessary for such a good portrait.

Hi Dennis, I love the golden slippers on these guys and this is shown very well in this image. Nice exposure on the whites. I like the repost. Well done.

Beautiful look at the egret and it stands out well from the human element and the original post seems to give a better feel for that human element.

My favorite wading bird, Dennis, and you captured him well. Love those yellow feet. Nice details and the repost improves an already nice shot.