Snowy Egret Fishing + Repost

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all comments welcome. Feedback on crop revision

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all welcome. Feedback on the crop reviwion

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Expanded the canvas at the top to give the wing some “headroom”. Also included a reflection that was not originally included. Concern is/was loosing the simplicity and the reflection touching the border!

Taken at Ding Darling, January 2019, on an overcast day.

Nikon D5, Nikkor Af-S 70-200mm f2.8G ED VRII @ 200 mm F8, 1/2000 sec, ISO 1100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

A great shot, Cheryl. I like that you caught him with a tiny fish in his mouth, and those yellow feet just coming out of the water, with a nice splash. You managed the white feathers nicely. Great stop action. I wish the bush and the water weren’t so dark, and, maybe just a bit more room at the top so that the right wing isn’t so close to the edge. An excellent shot just like it is.

Thanks Shirley for the suggestions. I do agree with both. Maybe a layer mask on the light colors will allow me to lighten the darker area of water a bit. Also, I debated if I should try to expand the canvas on the top just a bit and do a content aware fill…I will give it a try. (is it OK to be replying in this venue?? )

It is okay to reply to discuss the image and thoughts of editing, etc. If someone comments on my photo, and I don’t have a question or comment/answer to a question back to them, I normally click on the “thumb-up” to just let them know that I read their comment and appreciate it. That way my photo doesn’t stay up on the top of the front page, and that gives someone else’s photo a chance to been seen. Each time someone comments it moves it back to the top. When you do make the edit to the photo, you could post it so we can see the changes you made, and some may make comments on the edit as well, which might be useful to you. If you do that, you can change the title (pencil up near the title) to include “+ Repost” that way folks know that you have posted an edited image. Hope that helps.

As always, very helpful. Thanks!

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

My favorite kind of light, Cheryl. This works extremely well. I love the wing spread and head turn and those Rhododendrons are such a wonderful backdrop. A touch more room on top might be nice, but this is a wonderful image as posted.

Great timing with the wing pose and the feet coming out of the water with the splashing water. I like how the egret is framed by the leaves and the light on the egret is quite nice. I’m not bothered by the exposure on the bush and water, I think the contrast works with the egret and splashing water. Yeah, maybe a tad more room on top, but my eye is drawn from the splashing water (kind of a leading line) to the body, head, and eye-so not that big a deal. Great shot!

Thanks again Allen. I will repost the photo two versions. Expanded canvas (on top) and again portrait, with the full reflection. Please give me your honest opinion. I will do the same for you some day.

Very nice wing position, the splashing water adds to dynamic of the image ! Cheers, Hans