Snowy Egret missed

What technical feedback would you like if any? All is appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any? All is appreciated

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Taken with a Nikon D5, Lens a 500, F/5.6
Taken at f/5.6, 500 mm, ISO 500
(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

2 Likes

Nice whites, great catch showing behavior.
I’ve never seen any do this.

1 Like

Looks good–head and bill are nice and sharp. Your comp is good and the egret is positioned perfectly in the frame. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Fantastic capture!

Suggestion - tone down the white most top middle wing. And open up head just a little
Also, any space to the left ?

Perfect timing. It looks a little like “Mirror Mirror on the Wall”. Nice and sharp for what must have been some pretty fast action and how close you were. And well done on the exposure. This looks like a 4 x 3 crop so you might have a bit more room all around which might be nice. A dandy capture.

Looks as if your timing was better than the Egret’s. A very pleasing composition. I like the color palette with the yellows and blues and the whites work. The water splashes are great and the reflection of the head is pretty unique, I don’t think I’ve seen one like this before with the bird looking straight down in the water.

Cheryl, what a great stop action shot of this Snowy. I have never seen one in this position before, where he is flying, yet looking down into the water. I usually see them either wading and fishing, or they are perched or flying, not flying and fishing. Great shot.

1 Like

Excellent technical component here with superb detail and amazing action. I think I would like less tight crop with more space on the left-hand side of the frame.

Thanks all for taking the time to comment, and make suggestions. I did have room all the way around the subject, so did expand the crop. Odd that this is now very close to “as shot”. I tried just darkening the wing just a bit, and opening the face both on the bird, and the reflection.
@Shirley_Freeman, @Allen_Brooks, @David_Leroy, @Jim_Zablotny, @Karl_Zuzarte, @David_Schoen, @Greg_Giesing.

[quote=“Greg_Giesing, post:2, topic:13251”]

Nice whites, great catch showing behavior.
I’ve never seen any do this.

[/quot
1 Like

Action captured is great. The splashes really make the photo for me. I echo the other positive comments above. As to the re-crop, I’d take as much off the top as you did in the original but leave the extra room everywhere else.