Snowy Egret

What technical feedback would you like if any?

This was taken using an iPhone. I was impressed by the technical quality (this is full frame). But then I am not very critical.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Snapped on iPhone. Full frame, no editing.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

dooswyn

I’m interested in what version of the phone – I’ve heard claims that the picture quality has improved a lot on the 11. I’m impressed by the tonal detail in the whites – they are so easy to blow out. You did a good job getting close to the subject and caught a nice pose with the bird focused on its job. I think you could balance the composition by cropping from the top about halfway to the head. The water is attractive but its increased brightness going toward the top of the frame pulls the viewer’s eye away from the subject. If you are going to edit, the brightest areas of the rocks could be toned down.

HI Pieter
Like Diane I am impress with th quality of this photo, bring it into a photo editor will help by cropping and add some vibrancy to the shot. Nice work.
Peter

It is a nice shot with very good detail. Getting a bit lower if you can , closer to eye level of bird, also helps improve a photo. You can do some pretty good editing right on the iphone using the provided software or purchase an app for a few dollars.

Excellent image quality, Pieter. I know a number of people that use their iphones heavily for photography, but they’re all into landscape/architecture/people rather than wildlife. The quality of the whites is excellent. Others have mentioned cropping and I agree that some off the top would help-it will also give the illusion that you’re a little lower down and the bird’s closer to your level.

Thank you for your suggestions. This was taken with an iPhone 11. The addition of wide angle and (slight) telephoto capability makes a big difference to the versatility. The camera app is vastly improved and a lot easier to use in a more sophisticated way.
I am still learning, so I hope to improve. having a capable camera with you at all times is certainly a pleasure.

Thank you. I posted the photo as taken because I was primarily interested to hear whther others agree with me that the image quality is excellent. I am enjoying the iPhone 11 as a camera enormously.

Thank you. I posted the photo as taken because I was primarily interested to hear whether others agree with me that the image quality is excellent. I am enjoying the iPhone 11 as a camera enormously.

Thank you. I posted the photo as taken because I was primarily interested to hear whether others agree with me that the image quality is excellent. I am enjoying the iPhone 11 as a camera enormously.