Snowy Egret in bright sunlight

Have all my computers in shipment to US… this shot is processed by LR mobile on my iPad Pro’s 10.3” screen and home overhead lighting. Not the ideal situation - but I really liked this photo.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

How to keep the brightness without blowing out the highlights
How to keep the silver tones without being muddy…

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Brighten up the Shadows?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D500 Nikon PF500mm, 1/1250sec, F5.6, ISO 100, 500mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Ej.jewett

Good job catching the peak of action. I like the nice reflection of the splash as well as the bit of the bird. It looks good. It might have been nice to have the bird back in the frame a tad off center but the ripples are nice.
I am not sure what you can do about the highlights and brightness. It looked like a bright day and backlighting with reflections off the wet surfaces. I don’t know of any special technique other than playing around in software such as LR or PS.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback. I am anxiously awaiting the delivery of my HHG items so I can get my computer back and then actually “see” this photo. The iPad is great for field work, but it does not allow any fine detail perspective on the photo.

Crop a little off the left and see if you can bump up the shadows a bit. Unfortunately, the egrets head is in deep shadow and it will be a challenging fix. Otherwise, excellent action shot…Jim

1 Like

Hi EJ
I agree with Jim on the crop. You could try using Tone curves or shadow adjustment to help with the back lighting, Nice acton and good detail.
Peter

1 Like