Territorial

I use my iPad Pro most of the time for travel and basic connectivity with the world. I will try to upload a photo for review from the iPad vs my iMac. Would like to know if the quality is not diminish.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I used Topaz Studio @ to “clear-up” any extra noise, but I am almost uncomfortable with how clear it really looks - almost unreal. I have not done anything except used the default AI CLear setting.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Thought this was more fun than artistic, but I am always looking for unique activities vs the normal “Audubon” pose. I am amazed at the small activities that take place in “my estuary”.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn). Nikon D500, Nikon 200-500mm shout at 1/800 sec ISO 160 F5.6 and 320mm. Also used -1.7 EV to capture the shot in the dark waters and shadows of the estuary.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Ej.jewett

This file added .3" canvas on Right with PS, and lightened the contrast to try to brighten the Grays of the Snowy Egret.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I do still see a bit of noise, but AI Clear seems to have done a nice job. Detail in both birds is good for such large birds and the action is great. Some of the whites look a bit hot, but the action makes up for that. My only nit is that I’d like a bit of room on the right for the heron to escape into.

1 Like

I agree… I was not anticipating the quickness of the moment - so that was the best shot I had. I can try to “add canvas” with Photo Shop.

Hi EJ, this is a fine capture of some intense interaction. I like the view of the Snowy about to clamp down on the tail feathers of the heron. I agree with ideally more room on the right if possible and the feathers of the Snowy look grayer to me than I would expect I suppose due to the light angle.
A fine behavioral catch.

Thank you - yes this was shot at @0840 in the morning - with the sun rising behind them in the estuary waters… dark on dark. I did use a -1.7 EV (forgot to mention that above).

I am posting an updated picture based on both your recommendation and that of @Dennis_Plank. What do you think?

The added canvas helped, EJ. The contrast change did a nice job on the egret, but you might want to look at using shadows/highlights controls or better yet, a luminosity mask. If you’re not familiar with the latter, Tony Kuyper has excellent explanations on his website and he makes canned interfaces for PS that include very versatile built-in ones. His prices are exceptionally reasonable and there are good tutorials available.

1 Like