Snowy Egret Bathing Beauty

Re-edit to add more space around Snowy Egret.

I looked across a pond and saw a Snowy Egret sitting still in the water. Then it started bathing. I was thrilled to get these photos. I often see Snowy Egrets in Florida but have never seen one bathing.

Description: Snowy Egret Bathing Beauty

Specific Feedback Requested: Any and all feedback welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Pertinent technical details or techniques: 1/2500 sec at f/8, ISO 250, Canon 7DM2, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM. Cropped

Is this a composite? no

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen one bathing either. Wow…what a terrific thing to see. Thanks so much for sharing. The shutter speed just froze everything beautifully. You said you cropped it - did you do that to eliminate a distraction? I ask because I think it could use some breathing room around the bird itself.

Sandy, that mass of flying white feathers is wonderful. The flying water is great as well. Overall an excellent view.

Thank you Kristen - I added more space around the bird. Now that I posted it, I wonder if I added too much space!

Thank you, Mark. It was truly a wonderful sight to see and photograph!

Very cool behavior. As others have said the flying feathers and flying water are quite special. Nice job on this image.

Sandy, I prefer the original, with the bird slightly off center and nearly filling the frame.

Yeah, I think somewhere in between would be a good solution. Fabulous detail and vitality!!