Snowy Egret on the Beach

Just for giggles I went out to the beach earlier today. Weather was cooperative as was this Snowy taking a break from feeding. These are quite common here, and this individual likely a resident and recognized me as a non-threat, because it didn’t react to my approach, only turned to check me out a few times.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Lighting was soft in general, but any suggestions are welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

This is full frame which I’m happy with. I’m open to other options.

Any pertinent technical details:

7D Mk II, 400 DO + 1.4EX III with Wimberley I on Gitzo, ISO 400, 1/2000, f/8, 0.0EV

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nice look at the egret. Maybe a slight crop on the left to de-center the egret? Sure this is in the right gallery?

Thanks for the heads-up Allen.
Must have been a senior moment!

Excellent image, Bill. I like this, but with this pose I think a vertical crop of some kind would really show it off.

Appreciate the input. Allen, my first impression was to crop some off the LHS as an option, which would work well for an 11x14. Dennis, often traditional framing of standing birds is vertical, but I tend to like the excess space toward which the bird is looking in a situation like this, so as to suggest hunting for the next meal. I might try a 4x5 aspect vertical option and see how it works. Thanks again.

Bill. I don’t know if it will satisfy your taste or not, but of late I’ve been liking a 6x7 ratio, either horizontal or vertical for situations like this.