Snowy Egret picking up a stick

Seen at a Louisiana rookery in April a couple of years ago.

Canon 7D2, 400mm f4 DO II, monopod
ISO 400, f6.3, 1/1600s

Any comments appreciated.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@allensparks.wildlife

1 Like

A really nice shot. I like the action pose. That bit of splash behind the bird adds some movement to the photo. It looks like egret just landed or pounced forward to grab something out of water. Well done on tough exposure with lots of detail in the white bird. As well a nice composition. One small improvement I might do is to eliminate the small stick branch extending above the bird’s upraised wings.

Wonderful image of this beautiful Egret(?). Love the detail you have captured in the white feathers. Nicely done.

Very nicely done, Allen. Great action shot. It is a strange behavior that you captured, I think. Normally they are grabbing fish out of the water. I don’t think I have ever seen one grabbing a stick. Makes me wonder if he planned to use it for a nest. Excellent shot.

Very nice Allen,
I like how you managed to maintain the detail in the bird. White can be difficult at least for me. The splash and reflection add a lot to the story. I agree the stick just above the Egret is a bit of a distraction. Thank you for sharing.

Love the full wingspread and the water. Looks like he’s skiing! I also really like the vegetation behind the bird. That really adds for me. I could see a version without the stick behind the wings. I think I’d apply a little more sharpening to the head.

Hi,

This one looks very nice. The stick above the bird caught my eye, but it is not a deal breaker. Sharpness looks pretty good and the whites are bright, but have details. Before printing, a tiny amount of sharpening on the head may help, otherwise looks good on the screen…Jim

Nice! Superb job on the process. I would also remove stick above wing. Looks like a twig in the beak?

Hi Allen
Vary nice Little Egret in action. My first look at the photo ( I did not see the stick), I had to go back and look again after reading the comments. Great action, whites, framing and detail. Nice work.
Peter