Snowy Egret

This is a take off shot of a Snowy Egret seen last April at Jefferson Island in Louisiana.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 7D2, 400mm f4 DO IS II, monopod
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/3200s

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Cool pose and excellent sharpness; it really pops against the background.

Welcome to the Avian forum, Allen. An interesting image-I would have guessed landing or just dropping from one position to another. The pose really shows off the bird nicely and you have excellent exposure on the whites and good detail.

You don’t mention what software you’re using, but The Topaz Studio has a “Detail” module that works very well at bringing out feather texture, even in whites with a bit of playing around. You might give it a try. I believe it’s part of the free portion of Studio.

A very nice image.

Beautiful capture, Allen. I love his pose in the air. Excellent exposure and detail.

Thank you for the comments Allen and Dennis.

I used Photoshop CC for processing the image. No other plug ins used except Imagenomic noise reduction on the background only.

Thank you Shirley. Looking forward to contributing more on NPN.

I second the cool pose here on this Snowy. Really pops well against the background. The orange feet and the red on the face are well exposed and not oversaturated. I do think the posterior wing is a tiny bit too bright and it’s very difficult to make out some of the plumage detail. Perhaps some very careful brightness and contrast adjustments could bring out a little more detail. A very tricky task. Anterior wing is perfect.

Thank you for the comment and suggestion David. Maybe I should take another look at the far wing but I’ve been afraid of turning the snowy whites into something grayish instead searching for more detail. Thanks though - I’ll give it another look.

Fine timing on this Snowy, Allen. This is a really neat wing position for a flight, and the head plumage is super excellent. I have the same camera and lens, that 400 DO is great glass. Jefferson Island is a favorite rookery of mine in May through early June.