Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 60D
Canon 70-300mm IS USM @ 190mm
f/16
1/500 sec.
ISO 2000
Hand Held
Processed in ACR and PSE 2020 for exposure and cropping. Topaz De-noise applied.

1 Like

Wow! This is really beautiful, Terry! I love your composition with the background flower. The butterfly is at a nice angle too!

1 Like

Thanks, Vanessa. They are a pretty and tiny butterfly.

1 Like

Gorgeous detail in the butterfly and the flower, Terry and the colors are amazing. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks, Linda. I truly appreciate your comments.

1 Like

I just saw one of these on our coneflowers yesterday, but it was so windy, I didn’t even bother getting the camera out. You got some nice details in the Hairstreak, Terry. I love how he is setting on the cone of the flower. I am wondering if maybe a vertical would work better, allowing you to crop the chain link fence out on the right and the dark area in the ULC. I am thinking if you were at the 300 mm, rather than at 190 mm, the oof background would have been a bit smoother and less distracting, although you were shooting at f16 . The oof coneflower in the background is a nice addition. It is a very nice image as presented, but you could check to see how a vertical would look. Just a thought. The exposure is really nice. Good job.

Hi, Shirley. There is no fence in the image and it took me a bit to figure out what you were referencing. I guess it’s the two faint diagonal lines in the dark spot in the URC? I don’t know what those are; possibly tendrils of a vine that’s growing up a wall. I’ll take a look at a vertical crop and see what that does. Thanks!

Oh, I’m sorry, Terry. I thought for sure I was seeing the shapes of the fencing! We will blame it on old eyes. You have a fine image as is, I was just trying to see if there was something that could improve it even more. :grinning:

1 Like

I understand and I appreciate it! :+1:

2 Likes

Great photo Terry. There is quite a bit of detail in the subject. The direction of the wing in the back matching the left art of the flower adds to this photo.

1 Like

Terry: Exceptionally good detail on the hairstreak, sometimes a really difficult subject to capture. I actually find the OOF flower to be an eye pull. Perhaps if the entire flower was visible and not partially cut off it might be better but I tried cropping and using CA to remove it and think it brings much more emphasis to the butterfly. Back to you. >=))>

2 Likes

Thanks, Bill. I was originally undecided about that flower but ultimately decided to leave it as I was apprehensive about having the butterfly that close to the top of the frame. However, I think it looks okay.