Banded Hairstreak

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any is fine.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: D500 200-400mm f4 + 1.4xTC 550mm (1/250 sec at f13, ISO 450). Levels, crop for comp, Gaussian blur on light area in BG, Reduction of yellow & Green in BG. This lens combination is quite suitable for capturing skittish butterflies. An extension tube would get me a little closer, but I think that this one turned out just fine…Jim

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Beautiful capture Jim. The butterfly is perfectly parallel to us and there is wonderful sharpness throughout. Very nice background too. very well done.

1 Like

Excellent detail and I like the butterfly off-center. Nice shot, Jim.

Best,
Terry

1 Like

Jim, this is a wonderful capture of the Hairstreak. Such details in him. He stands out nicely against that nice smooth background. I may have to try my 150 - 600 mm lens to see how that works on skittish critters like the Hairstreak. I do have a 100 - 400 mm and 1.4 TC, so could try that too. I like what you accomplished here. Really a great shot. :+1:

1 Like

Great picture! I love the contrast, antenae looks amazing. Thank for sharing the post processing details, they look great and are great ideas to use in other pictures. You mention that cropped for composition, I would try to position the butterfly lower on the frame, if possible.
Thanks for sharing!

Jim, the details in this hairstreak are outstanding, I swear that I can count the hairs and scales.

Jim: One of the very best hairstreak images I’ve seen in a long time. Having chased little guys like this around my garden I can appreciate the difficulty of getting a good plane of focus and comp. Superbly crafted image. >=))>

1 Like

Jim, I had to go back an check, but I’m thinking that this is more likely to be a Hickory Hairstreak, because of the dark brown areas have white on both sides. Both of my guides show the banded with white only on the outer side of the dark brown areas.

1 Like

Hi Mark,

I accidentally posted my response to your critique in Allen’s blue dasher post. Poor Allen subjected to lycaenid butterfly field mark jargon (LOL). This is a banded hairstreak because the submedian band on the forewing is much narrower than the submedian band of the hickory hairstreak. Both species have the silvery blue margins around the dark spots and bands. …Jim

Jim, an outstanding image. everythings works well together - colors, composition (love the placement), great details and the background.

1 Like

A gorgeous image from the details on the butterfly, your slightly angled position, the grasp on the leaf…the anticipation of flight. Just love it all. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Jim, went back to Cech and Tudor (chuckling all the way) and see that the Banded may have white on both sides of the submedian band. Since I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Hickory Hairstreak, the subtlety about the width of the submedian band goes in one eye and out the other…

1 Like

A really nice shot of the butterfly. Nice to see the full side view sharply in focus and all the detail. Well placed in the frame. I really liked the use of your equipment as well.

1 Like

Tack sharp end to end Jim. I often find it difficult to isolate the nearby background. You have done a beautiful piece of work here.
Balan Vinod

1 Like