Softly

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was without a doubt one of the most productive sessions I have ever had with the camera as I came away with several images that I was extremely happy with. Mike and I decided to make a stop at Beaver Dam Pond in Acadia NP as it is one of my favorite locations during the fall season. The day before was warm; followed up by a very chilly night which produced some lovely ephemeral mist on the calm water of the pond. I found the whole experience to be serene and relaxing as the mist glided over the autumn reflections in the water. We spent a little over an hour there before the fog dissipated and we moved on.

Specific Feedback

All C&C is welcome and appreciated. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Technical Details

Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 200mm, f 16 @ 1/5 sec, ISO 100, MLU, cable release & tripod.

1 Like

Yeah, I would be happy with this image as well. This is super. We’ve had several wispy high key images recently but this has to be one of the best. Amazing work, Ed. This is truly art. You could try to bring out the colors a bit more but it would just be different, not better.

2 Likes

Wow , this is it.Such an amazing image of an amazing place. Ed, congratulations fine work.

1 Like

Another Wow!! A wonderful composition and perfect balance of trunks and foliage! As much as I love straight shots of autumn trees, I love this kind of abstraction even more! This one is gorgeous upside down, too. If it were mine I’d do a metal print with hangers both top and bottom and every so often I’d switch it!

1 Like

You get a WOW from me as well. This image in Mainely superb. @Igor_Doncov 's comment nails it. Wonderful!

1 Like

Super nice Ed. I think what really makes this image are the subtle but very impactful horizontal ripples in the pond.

1 Like

Super image, Ed. It’s really all about the softness of colors and the contrast that work so well together. At first, I thought it was an ICM image. I also like that this is kind of high key but not really. I also like how the trees gradually get taller from left to right. In the lower left corner I might bring up the shadows where the foreground trees abruptly end so that it doesn’t grab the eye so much. Other than that, I have no other ideas to make this image any better than it already is. Well seen and executed.

1 Like

thanks so much for the kind words @Igor_Doncov, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Diane_Miller, @Larry_Greenbaum, @Michael_Lowe and @David_Haynes; it is always appreciated.

@Igor_Doncov : I will play around with the saturation and see what I come up with.

1 Like

Nothing to add except more applause :clap:

1 Like

Dreamy and inviting. I couldn’t resist a small tweak since my attention was always drawn to that bright orange tree in the URC. Hope you don’t mind. This is such a treat after four Novembers in a row.

2 Likes

Whenever I see a Lowe photograph I think “looks he’s outdone his brother this time”. And then his brother posts one and it’s as good or better.

You guys are doing some great work.

1 Like

Thanks for your kind words @John_Williams, @Kris_Smith and @Igor_Doncov; always appreciated.
@Kris_Smith : Thanks for taking the time to do a rework. I like it.
@Igor_Doncov : Thank you; you do some great work as well.