Solar Collection

Starting to play with a macro lens is clueing me in to a new level of observation of details! At a distance, this was one of the more boring of several fallen leaves I’d gathered during a recent walk. But with the right light (glancing but soft side light from a nearby bank of windows and a cloudy sky) and magnification, it became my favorite of the bunch.

Shot with a Nikon D850 and Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens, ISO 64 4.0 seconds @ f/6.3, focus stacked to retain sharpness throughout (the D850 makes this fairly easy - I used “step width” of 3 in the automated “focus shift” feature of the camera) using Helicon stacking software.

I’m open to feedback on any aspect.

1 Like

James, this is really nice. The lighting and the details of this ordinary leaf is excellent, in my opinion. Yes, macro is like another whole different world. I love shooting it and seeing the details on the monitor. Things I could not see show up. I hope that you continue playing around in macro photography, and enjoy it as much as I have. I have not even experimented with focus stacking, so you are one up on me. Great image.

James: Wonderful color and texture in this common subject that you’ve converted into an uncommon image. I got started in macro many years ago with a Minolta 100mm lens that remains the sharpest in my collection although I do 95% of my macro shooting with a 200mm lens now. Macro is a whole other genre that lets you find subjects right under your nose. Good vision and a fine result. >=))>

1 Like

Jim, this is a great view of the detailed structure in this leaf. The colors are warmly inviting and there’s a dearth of flaws (which is hard to find in a late summer/fall leaf).

1 Like

Great work on stacking. Lovely color and texture with fine details. Like the composition as well. I have been experimenting with focus stacking with manual focus shifting, but it is hit or miss with manual stacking. You have done well in your early attempts.

1 Like

There is a beautiful, painterly quality to this lovely image. The colors and details plus comp make this one sing.

1 Like