Alien Eggs

OK, I’m starting to have lots of fun obsessing over water droplets on the leaves from one of the trees in our yard. I always thought that water droplets were cool, but have never quite realized what a world there was under a bit of magnification…

Shot with a Nikon D850, SIgma 105mm lens, with Sigma 1.4 teleconverter and a few macro tubes, at F29 and focus stacked (I forget how many exposures - probably around 12 plus or minus) in Helicon’s stacker. Adjusted global and local contrast in LR/PS

As always, open to any and all feedback…

James, I really do like this. And the title too. Yes, there is a whole other world out there in magnification of water drops, and many other things in nature. I just love macro for that reason. I don’t think you can exhaust the many subjects that are available. I haven’t messed with photographing drops in quite awhile, and need to do that again. With your last few shots of leaves and droplets, you have inspired me to want to get out and find some drops to shoot. It was raindrops on limbs, pedal, and leaves that got me really keyed up about photography again when digital was just getting started. I bought me a Canon 10D and a Tamron 28-75 mm lens, and did the best I could with what I had. Now I am blessed with much better equipment and software, and seemed to have left the subject, so thank you for charging me back up to want to look for waterdrops. I am just getting over a cold, and the weather has turned to freezing after a rain, and I started thinking frozen drops, but I better not get out there until I am all well. Again, great shot, and I thank you for posting it and the encouragement it gives me. You are way ahead of me, as I haven’t tried focus stacking at all.

1 Like

Jim, this is a delightful view of this group of drops and their magnified support leaf. You’ve filled the frame well with a fine mix of drop sizes. The leaf pattern makes a great background. Having everything sharp adds a lot to the view.

1 Like

Hi Jim,

Your image stacking is nice and clean and you produced an interesting image. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Jim: Reminds me of snake skin. I like the refractions in the drops especially. Nice job on the stack as well. :+1::+1:>=))>

Beautiful close up. Love the reticular vein pattern and water drops magnifying them. A completely different world when you get that close. stacking done very well.