Compound Eyes

I loved how the dew drops on this dragonfly acted like magnifying glasses on it’s compound eyes.
Taken just after sunrise on a cool August morning, the only time of day these guys will hold still long enough to pose for a picture :grinning:

And no I didn’t consider focus stacking, I wanted only the head to be sharp so that attention would be drawn to the eyes…

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any critique or comments are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 180mm Macro Lens plus 1.4x teleconverter, 252mm, ISO 100, 3.2 sec at f18

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
5 Likes

Ed, amazing image here. Looking at the largest size to actually see the “honey-coning” in the water droplets on the eye is truly nature on a Sci-Fi magnified level there. Wonderful …:+1:

Ed, this is remarkable, it’s in a sense, compound eyes, illustrated and photographed exponentially. I really like that it wasn’t stacked.

Ed, this is truly an amazing image. I am enjoying all the colors, the dew drops all over the DF, and especially on the sharply focused eyes, which magnifies so nicely the honey-cone sectionals of them. A wonderful shot. :+1::+1:

This is excellent! The textures, shapes and colors are amazing. I am not into bug photography, but this one is exceptional!

@Paul_Breitkreuz @Bill_Leggett @Shirley_Freeman @Harley_Goldman thank you all for your very kind comments on this image, they are appreciated.

Harley, I used to be a “bug guy” before I heard the siren call of landscape photography. But I still dabble in it from time to time, usually when the sunrise peters out :grinning:

1 Like

Ed: Just excellent. I’m not a stacker and appreciate the decision making in crafting a single image. You checked all the boxes for me on this one. Great find and an even better capture. :+1::+1:>=))>

Thanks Bill, glad you enjoyed it. You gotta love dewy mornings, its the only thing that keeps DF from flying off when you are trying to photographt them.

Wow Ed, really terrific! Love the look of those eyes with the dew. Exceptional work!

Ed…this is top class. More than the droplets it’s the color that’s the killer … Very well conceived

Balan Vinod

@Allen_Sparks @Balan_Vinod thank you for stopping by to comment on my image , it is much appreciated.

Balan, I like to shoot insects just before/after sunrise on late summer morning when the air is cool enough to form dew, and the insects can’t fly away. But the other advantage to this is the insect is in shade, so you get some cooler colors to contrast against warm ones.

1 Like

Ed, I rarely venture to the macro forum but this one is really wonderful. The colors are great and are inspiring me to possibly give this genre a try.
Beautiful work on your part.

1 Like

These you will have in Michigan, all you need is a macro lens !!!

In summer I will go to shoot sunrise at a pond, and once the sun up I’ll pull out my macro lens and look for macro insect subjects too.

This is truly amazing and inspiring! I have never had a macro lens and would love to learn to use one… This photo will be my benchmark!

Ed–Congrats for this awesome photo. Colors and details make this a well craftyed image! Well done…Jim