Song Sparrow Log-'Scape

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? How do you like this composition. It is different than the usual bird image in that this resembles the type of composition that Robert Bateman paints.

Any pertinent technical details: D500 200-400mm f4 (1/640 sec at f8.0, Iso 1250, 400mm) Levels, Midtone Contrast increased with Soft Light curves adjustment layer, crop for comp. I recently got an excellent detail on a Nikkor 200-400mm f4 . It is a difficult lens to use, but seems to be very sharp when used correctly. This song sparrow was checking me out as I was surrounded by hungry songbirds. I decided to use this crop as it shows the best features of song sparrow and the logs. A tighter crop did not do much for me. …Jim

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I like this a lot, Jim. A beautiful palette and the composition is great. No nits here.

1 Like

I would like to see pop just a bit more. Maybe darken the background some and see if that does anything positive.

Hi,

Thank you for the critiques. While playing with the image in Lightroom, I was able to get the bird brighter than the BG. My version of Windows has not been playing nice with Adobe products and the computer rebooted and lost my edits. I can bump up the brightness of the bird which could put some additional pop in the image…Jim

I like the minimalistic composition, Jim. The headturn and your placing of the sparrow in the frame work very well. The bottom tree limb looks somewhat soft in the larger version. You might look at cropping this image in the bottom and make this less prominent.