Sonoma Coast Aerial + repost

And a tweak:

Rummaging around in old files again… this is from 2005, from Ted’s Taylorcraft with the window pushed back – it slides to open halfway, giving a narrow view about 45 degrees forward. Limited even more by the need to keep the lens out of the slipstream. Late afternoon hazy marine layer, probably with an overlay of air pollution.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 20D, 70-200 f/2.8, ISO 200, f/8, 1/1000 sec. Cropped from top, TK linear profile, normal slider moves. I liked the slightly odd coloration and kept it. Into PS for Topaz Denoise and a few very small clone touchups. Nik CEP Detail Extractor.

2 Likes

This is great. I love the atmospherics, with the cloud streaks and sun beams. It gives the image a great mood and feel. No nits here, really like this.

Oh boy what a gem. I just sat here with my coffee for a few minutes taking this in. Woah. Glad you went rummaging. I’ve been doing some of that, too. The linear profile is a wonder isn’t it? The shapes and subtle tonalities you have in this is mesmerizing. I think I found a favorite bit as my eyes kept returning to it. Kudos on camera management under these conditions.

Diane, this is an outstanding image, what a treat !!!

The layers of ridges contain a lot of visual interest all the way through the entire image, great choice for a panoramic aspect ration here, it adds to the drama of the image. And I like the colors here, and don’t find them odd at all.

My only suggested minor tweak would be to slightly dodge the midtone fog just above the dark row of trees in the LRC. But that is a very minor nitpick, overall this image looks excellent.

@Ed_McGuirk, good idea – I’ll give it a try. I have an urge to do a subtle gradient burn along the bottom. I’ll see if I can pull off both…

I am enjoying the almost horizontal rays of light here Diane. Excellent atmosphere with a touch of drama.

Thanks @Harley_Goldman, @Kris_Smith, @Ed_McGuirk and @Eva_McDermott. Here’s a slight tweak along the bottom edge.

Another day starter, coffee by my side. I rather miss the island-like quality of the dark trees in the foreground. I know it’s just taste and the things that capture our fancy, but that one did.

Compelling. An almost abstract treat for the eye (and also the soul). The world, at every turn, is abundant in its beauty.

@Kris_Smith, I tried to lighten the area behind those darker trees in the LR and hold them back, but don’t think I went far enough. I also liked how they stood out. Could fade out the darker gradient to their left. The light beams do point to them. Will tweak further. Thanks @Kerry_Gordon!

I prefer the non-tweaked image as it conveys a softer emotion.